http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/p ... or-6103429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Postman Steven Campbell died in horror fall while on holiday on the Isle of Lewis
A grieving widow has told of her heartache after her husband died in a horror fall while they were on a family holiday.
Steven Campbell, 37, plunged from a cliff during a break on the Isle of Lewis with his wife Caroline and their five-year-old son Stuart.
His body was found in the sea during a search by a lifeboat crew and a Coastguard helicopter.
Caroline said her husband’s death has left a “massive hole” in her life.
She told the Paisley Daily Express: “Steven was a wonderful husband and father. We got married four years ago at Paisley Town Hall and it was the best day of my life.
“We always did everything together. We had eight wonderful years together and I’m grateful for that – but it should have been so much more.
“It’s devastating to know he’s no longer here but I have to be strong for my son now.”
Steven, who lived in Erskine and worked as a postman in Bishopton, had relatives on the
Isle of Lewis and loved visiting Stornoway to see them.
However, tragedy struck after he went for a walk during his latest trip to the island.
Caroline, 39, said: “As a postman, Steven enjoyed walking.
“My son and I would usually go with him but Stuart was tired, so Steven went out by himself.
“It was about 10 past eight at night and that was the last time we saw him.”
Caroline woke up at the family’s remote cottage around 3am the following morning and, when she realised Steven still wasn’t home, she assumed he had gone to visit his Aunt Seona or Uncle Bill.
She added: “I was in the middle of nowhere, so there wasn’t really much I could do, and I didn’t have phone numbers for Seona or Bill either.
“I waited until the morning and went to see them but they were both out.
“Later on, we met Bill and, when he told us he hadn’t seen Steven, we all went to the police station.
“Everything seemed to happen so quickly after that.
“The police came to the cottage later that night to tell me Steven had been found in the water. He had lost his footing, fell off the edge of a cliff and drowned.
“It was a tragic accident. It would be difficult for the people on Lewis to do much about it, as they can’t put a fence all the way along the top of the cliff.
“When I was told what had happened to Steven, I just wanted to put my shoes on and go to see him. I wanted to be with him.”
Caroline has thanked everyone who was involved in the search for her husband, as well as those who have offered comfort since the tragedy took place.
She said: “I have nothing but admiration for the police and the people from the search-and-rescue teams who looked for Steven.”
Steven, who lived in Erskine all his life and had been a pupil at Bargarran Primary and Park Mains High, was introduced to Caroline by his sister Donna.
“He was a solid guy and was always
there for me but now he’s not,” added Caroline. “Steven never asked for much. He was happy if Stuart and I were happy. We were his life.”
Steven’s funeral will take place at Clydebank Crematorium tomorrow, starting at 3pm, with a large turnout expected.
Caroline said: “There will be a fleet of Royal Mail vans driving behind the hearse. That’s how highly Steven was thought of by his colleagues.
“He was hard working and honest to a fault and I will miss him so much.
“I once wrote a poem for him that read ‘I love you in the morning and I love you at night. I will always be by your side’ – and that still stands.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman Steven Campbell died in horror fall while on holiday
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Postman Steven Campbell died in horror fall while on holiday
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Postman Steven Campbell died in horror fall while on hol
So sad - deepest sympathies to his family and colleagues.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.