A postman has stepped in to save a vulnerable Welsh pensioner from being targeted by scam mail.
David Popkin, of Cardiff, was inundated with bogus letters requesting cash after he responded to some telling him he had won millions from prize draws.
But Chris Wilcox, of the Cardiff Mail Centre, saw the warning signs and intervened.
On Tuesday, Royal Mail and Trading Standards held a scam mail training day for workers to raise awareness.
'Suckers list'
Mr Popkin said he had been duped into responding to some scam letters because "they are so convincing".
"I have sent a few bob," he added. "I have sent about £100. That's low in proportion to what some people have fallen for - but its still £100."
Trading Standards said when people reply to scam letters, they can be placed on a "suckers list" and then peppered with more sham mail.
Mr Wilcox, who received training on spotting such warning signs in January, noticed Mr Popkin was receiving a large number of extra letters and made sure he got help from Trading Standards.
He said: "We learnt how scam mail works, where it originates from and how vulnerable people are to scam mail.
"I'm cautious as to who's having more mail, who's having less mail and especially with vulnerable people, elderly people, you tend to know if they are having 20 or 30 extra letters a week."
Mr Wilcox is one of 2,000 postal workers across the UK who have received the scam mail training.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-33600763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman saves Cardiff pensioner from scam mail
-
Pinky 1
- Posts: 1510
- Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Wales
Postman saves Cardiff pensioner from scam mail
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1532
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman saves Cardiff pensioner from scam mail
I've reported scam mail and nothing happened!
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postman saves Cardiff pensioner from scam mail
Me too,I don't think they give a fudge as long as they are getting paid for itHitcher wrote:I've reported scam mail and nothing happened!
For we were soldiers once,and young