Fundraiser runs Manchester marathon then cycles 217 miles so he can do the London marathon
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/129 ... _marathon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A FUNDRAISER has completed a gruelling 273-mile challenge.
Martin Williamson took just five days to finish the challenge which included two marathons, and a 217-mile cycle from Manchester to London.
The father-of-two decided to take part in the event to raise money for Bolton Hospice and The Christie as both they cared for a friend who died from cancer.
Mr Williamson, a manager at Royal Mail, started his journey in Manchester as he competed in the Manchester marathon in less than four hours.
The next leg of the journey included the cycle which started at The Christie in Manchester.
Mr Williamson was completing the ride in memory of his friend Norman Hulme, who died, aged 75, in October last year, following a battle with cancer of the oesophagus, and Mr Hulme's son, Steven Hulme, rode alongside him.
However, just 10 miles into the ride Mr Williamson's chain snapped.
He said: “It was horrendous — I had to wheel my bike down this huge hill. Luckily we found a bike shop a man there fixed my bike for free. Otherwise it would have been game over. I really don’t know what I would have done.”
The cycle continued through the Peak District.
Mr Williamson, of Harden Drive, Harwood, added: “This was the hardest part of the journey. There wasn’t one smooth road. It was all up hill."
Mr Williamson completed his challenge with the London marathon— and even had a helping hand from his employer.
He added: "Royal Mail have been really good. Not only did they donate a van for our journey down to London, and a member of staff drove it down for us.
"They even price matched our total sponsorship — so far we have raised £5,000.
"I’ll keep running now with Bolton Harriers but I won’t be doing any marathons any time soon!"
To donate go to virginmoneygiving.com/team/m2l
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Fundraiser runs Manchester marathon then cycles 217 miles
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Fundraiser runs Manchester marathon then cycles 217 miles
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Fundraiser runs Manchester marathon then cycles 217 mile
Brilliant,well done.
For we were soldiers once,and young