http://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/116 ... relocation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A VILLAGE’S fight to keep its post office at the heart of the community has ended in victory.
Post Office Ltd were proposing to move the Pool-in-Wharfedale branch to the Shell filling station - a site surrounded by busy roads, with no pedestrian crossing.
The plan had shocked residents and postmasters Gary and Paula McNeil, while local politicians denounced it as dangerous and irrational, and mobilised opposition.
MP Greg Mulholland (Lib Dem, Leeds North West) also pointed out that the company’s research, which described the A659 as a “minor road”, was intrinsically flawed.
Now the Post Office has agreed to leave the branch where it is, in the village store on Main Street - and to designate it as a community facility.
Mrs McNeil said: “We’re relieved and happy because we’re staying put and they’re giving us community status, which means we can apply for some investment for the shop to improve the facilities.
“I think they’ve been looking at a lot of branches thinking about where they could move them, but when it came to us they hadn’t realised how the garage was set up - surrounded by roads and not safely accessible on foot.”
The branch is set to be reviewed again, however, next September - so Mr Mulholland is urging residents to complete the Pool Post Office Survey forms he recently had delivered.
He said: “I am delighted Post Office Ltd has listened to our calls for Pool’s branch to be retained at the heart of the community and be categorised as a Community Post Office, as there is clearly no suitable alternative location within their own qualifying distance of half a mile.
“There was a fundamental flaw in the company’s decision-making process as its documentation stated that the petrol station can be accessed by crossing a ‘minor road’ – when what they are talking about is the A659. I concluded that this made the decision-making process and proposals invalid.
“Unfortunately, Post Office Ltd have failed to consult with residents throughout, so I am urging people to have their say by completing the survey which will be presented to Post Office bosses and, hopefully, considered in their review next year.”
Councillor Barry Anderson (Con, Adel & Wharfedale) added: “I am absolutely delighted to hear the post office has been granted Community status and will be left in its current position.
“This is a very welcome decision and the whole community and its representatives have played a part.
“Pool’s post office is a vital service for the community, not just a place to do business but a meeting place for friends and neighbours.
“I have worked closely with Mr McNeil and met managers from Post Office Ltd on site to let them see what a disaster they would have been creating had they gone ahead with their proposal.
“I would like to think they will now leave it where it is for many years to come.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Pool-in-Wharfedale villagers win fight to stop PO relocation
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Pool-in-Wharfedale villagers win fight to stop PO relocation
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.