ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Parcel destined for 10 miles down the road takes 750-mile ro

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Parcel destined for 10 miles down the road takes 750-mile ro

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Parcel destined for 10 miles down the road takes 750-mile round trip

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Parcel-de ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WHEN Kevin and Wendy Sheldon posted a parcel destined for 10 miles down the road, they expected it to arrive pretty quickly.

But five weeks later it was returned to them – having travelled on a 750-mile round trip via Belfast.

The brother and sister, of Havenwood Rise in Clifton, posted the package, containing a teddy bear, to Bond Street in Arnold on August 26.

It was a surprise present for their auntie, Betty Evans, who was celebrating her 80th birthday.


But on Monday the parcel arrived back at their door, complete with the Belfast postmark.

Kevin, 54, said: “I was really surprised when I saw it said Belfast on the package – I’ve never known anything like it!

“You hear stories about packages getting lost, but it seems strange that it’s come back to us having gone from Clifton to Northern Ireland and back to Clifton again.

“It was only supposed to go to Arnold!”

Wendy, 50, added: “It’s certainly a very well travelled teddy bear!

“It was supposed to be a nice surprise for our auntie’s birthday. We hadn’t heard anything about it arriving with her, but we didn’t want to ask too much as it would have spoilt the surprise.

“When we got the parcel back yesterday I thought I’d won something in a competition at first, but then when we looked closer we realised it was the parcel we’d sent in August.”

The parcel cost £2.80 to send – but Wendy says she won’t be risking posting it again.

She said: “I think I’ll just hand deliver it now – I don’t want it to go halfway round the world next time!”

A spokesman for Royal Mail said all parcels which cannot be delivered to the recipient for any reason are sent to the national returns centre in Belfast.

From there they are returned to the sender.

He said: “In this case we’ve done everything correctly and made sure we returned the item to the sender.

“There is a team of people in Belfast who will try to find out where the parcel came from so it can be returned.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Parcel destined for 10 miles down the road takes 750-mil

Post by wannabeek »

I think that's pretty decent fast service, considering it was a 2nd class packet and presumably it was sitting at dear old Aunt Betty's local DO for 3 weeks while she happily displayed the P739 on her mantelpiece thinking it was a birthday card from her postie!
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Re: Parcel destined for 10 miles down the road takes 750-mil

Post by saddlerposty »

once I came across a birthday card type letter bound for Australia amongst my mail, ok so the town in Oz did sound and was spelt almost identical to the town I deliver in, but this card was posted in Australia ffs. :crazy:
framusjsx
Posts: 88
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 16:53
Gender: Male

Re: Parcel destined for 10 miles down the road takes 750-mil

Post by framusjsx »

Go see your auntie? 10 miles to post something borders on ridiculous when its a family member and its a special occasion