http://www.suffolkfreepress.co.uk/news/ ... 1342391067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A village is celebrating after its popular postman retained his postal round, despite planned changes at Royal Mail.
Hundreds of householders in Boxford signed a petition to urge the now privatised company to allow Kevin Pike to stay on in the village, having worked there for four years delivering letters and parcels.
In July, Royal Mail announced that it was making adjustments to a number of postal delivery rounds. Despite customer recognition of Kevin’s hard work, a company spokeswoman was not able to confirm whether he would keep his round in the shake-up.
This week, Kevin learned he had retained his round, despite 41 more senior staff selecting their rounds ahead of him.
He said: “Because the rounds were being adjusted, the company thought the fairest way to allocate them was on basis of seniority. Those who’d been here the longest had first pick.
“I was really worried I might not be able to pick Boxford because there were 41 people ahead of me in terms of seniority. I thought that, by the time I got to pick, Boxford would have been taken.
“But I was really relieved when I found it hadn’t been, and I think the campaign by Boxford residents definitely helped me.”
He added: “I can’t thank the people of Boxford enough for supporting me and I’d like to say a big thank you to them.”
Kevin, who has worked for Royal Mail for 13 years, said his round now included part of Sudbury, too.
Campaign organiser and Boxford resident David Lamming said he was happy Kevin has kept his round and will continue to be the village’s postman – even if that was courtesy of his more senior colleagues not opting for the round, rather than any change of heart by Royal Mail management.
Royal Mail is changing its delivery methods to reflect fewer letters and more parcels.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Kevin delivers good news: he’s staying
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Kevin delivers good news: he’s staying
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Kevin delivers good news: he’s staying
I wonder if they will still be pleased when he is 3hrs later.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
char1ie
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:50
- Gender: Male
Re: Kevin delivers good news: he’s staying
What is it with some villages that are under the assumption that all other postmen/women are less able & inferior to the 1 they already have. Beware the Wicker man should anyone pick a new duty.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Kevin delivers good news: he’s staying
We had someone who signed for a rural ahead of the person who had been on that round for 17 or 18 years,despite the petitions etc from the customers it had to stand due to seniority.
That's fair enough & I agree with it but,I and others reckon this person signed for the duty to stir things up.
That's fair enough & I agree with it but,I and others reckon this person signed for the duty to stir things up.