Postman dumped 5000 items of mail because he was 'worked too hard' http://news.stv.tv/tayside/288914-kevin ... s-of-mail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman who secretly hid more than 5000 items of mail blamed Royal Mail bosses for working him too hard.
Kevin Ewing, 31, dumped the items over a four-year period and claimed he did it so he could finish his round early to spend time with his daughter.
On Tuesday at Perth Sheriff Court, Ewing, who lost his job as a result, admitted four charges relating to the non-delivery of thousands of postal packets.
Ewing, Wallace Crescent, Perth, admitted stealing 672 postal packets from Perth delivery office between July 9, 2009, and March 5, 2013, and delaying a further 630 between August 19, and December 3 last year.
He also admitted intentionally delaying 1150 unaddressed door-to-door postal packets on October 1, 2013. Those items were recovered from a delivery trolley and a car.
Finally, Ewing admitted stealing 2915 packets at Little Glenshee Road End between November 21 and December 11 last year.
In a letter pleading guilty, Ewing said: "During my employment at Royal Mail various factors contributed to my inability to always complete deliveries I was assigned.
"When I started our partner had recently had our first child. She suffered from post-natal depression and would put pressure on me to get home as early as possible.
"To enable me to get home I would at times cut my delivery short, which meant not all the letters and packets were delivered. I feel what I was asked to do was unrealistic.
"I am not usually the type of person who would speak up and challenge managers about unrealistic time frames, but as time went on I felt I had no other option.
"During 2011 things went from bad to worse. In September we ended our relationship. We had two young children. I found this extremely difficult to cope with.
"I was finding it difficult to concentrate or cope with the demands of work and general daily life. I can genuinely say that when I did not deliver mail I had every intention of delivering it next day.
"Before I realised things had become too bad to resolve and I felt unable to confide in anyone about what had happened. I took it upon myself to try and dispose of the mail I had not delivered.
"I realise how serious these charges are and I feel deeply ashamed of my actions. I feel sorry for the stress and anxieties I have caused for members of the public who have not received items of their post."
Sentence on Ewing was deferred for the preparation of social work reports and he was ordered to appear in person in September.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman dumped 5000 items because he was 'worked too hard'
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman dumped 5000 items because he was 'worked too hard'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.