Postal workers time capsule lifts lid on life during First World War
http://news.stv.tv/west-central/285079- ... world-war/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A time capsule containing letters, postcards and photographs has been opened as instructed by the staff that sealed it almost a century ago.
It was created by Dundee postal workers at the end of the First World War
During the conflict, the postal service delivered 12 million letters and one million parcels to the Western Front.
240 General Post Office (GPO) staff from Dundee served in the conflict.
The casket's existence was only recently discovered by local woman Janice Kennedy whose own father worked with the GPO and survived the conflict.
She said: "I'm delighted we are respecting the wishes of these men who went to battle. Many of them didn't want to but they felt it was their duty.
"A lot enlisted from Dundee, more so than any other town per head of population, more than Glasgow or Edinburgh so I'm delighted we're carrying out what they wished for."
The contents of the time capsule will be on display at the city's McManus Gallery for the next three months.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postal workers time capsule lifts lid on life during WW1
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postal workers time capsule lifts lid on life during WW1
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postal workers time capsule lifts lid on life during WW1
The "Organ of the Union of Post-office Workers" was priced a penny then.
I doubt if many copies of The Voice would be printed if the CWU charged extra for them now.
I doubt if many copies of The Voice would be printed if the CWU charged extra for them now.