ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman's pat on the back after 30 years

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman's pat on the back after 30 years

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Postman’s pat on the back after 30 years of first class service around Fakenham

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/postman_s_p ... usurv=skip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be 30 years to the day that Mr Neill, from Fakenham, joined the Royal Mail on Wednesday.

His long and dedicated service has been recognised with a certificate and gift vouchers from Royal Mail.

Mr Neill, 49, has spent his entire career working from the Fakenham sorting office, on Holt Road and on the Hindringham round.

He has also worked in Binham and Bale.

Mr Neill said he fell into the job but still looks forward to going into work every day.

He believes his start in the career was assisted by a lack of strong competition during his interview.

Mr Neill said: “I never knew what I wanted to do when I was at school.

“I had been working as a painter and decorator but the work often dried up in the winter.

“A mate in the pub told me there was a job going at Royal Mail, so I applied.

“When I was sitting outside the interview room the other candidate told me he wasn’t very good at 
getting up early in the mornings. I thought: ‘I hope he says that in the interview’.

“I’d been doing a paper round since I was 14 so it was never a problem to me.”

And while angry dogs are an occupational hazard for most postmen and women, Mr Neill is happy to report he has suffered just three dog bites in 30 years.

He said: “Some colleagues have had it much worse and some have been badly hurt.

“Because I’ve been doing the job for so long the customers know when I’ll be there, so the dogs get locked away.”

He added: “I love the job. I’ve always been an outdoors person.

“It’s good exercise and the customers have become great friends to me.

“It’s strange to see the kids at the school in Hindringham, when I started, are now grown-ups bringing their own kids in.

“There’s always a great atmosphere at Fakenham as well and a lot of banter.

“I like to wind up the younger guys by telling them the first 20 years are the hardest and it gets easier from there.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Postman’s pat on the back after 30 years

Post by 5plusbonusball »

:Applause But after 19 years i can't now see it getting any easier sadly.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
houseoflords
Posts: 352
Joined: 06 Feb 2012, 22:25
Gender: Male

Re: Postman's pat on the back after 30 years

Post by houseoflords »

This job will not got any easier, all that will happen is more put on Posties and more Part timers will be employed it is all down to costs now, experience stands or amounts to nothing at Royal Mail!!!!!!
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: Postman's pat on the back after 30 years

Post by pinstripe »

houseoflords wrote: experience stands or amounts to nothing at Royal Mail!!!!!!

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

Experience leads to the 'dark side'.
Experience means expense. Expense means less bonus for the DOM.
Less bonus leads to bullying.

Just call me Yoda.