ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Swim, cycle and run against homelessness

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Swim, cycle and run against homelessness

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.cwu.org/news/archive/swim-cy ... sness.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

CWU Bristol member Rob Wotherspoon will be taking part in this year's Harbourside Triathlon to raise cash for and awareness of homeless charity Crisis.

The UK's national charity for single homeless people, Crisis campaigns for change and provide practical services aiming to transform people's lives.

At Crisis 'Skylight Centres' in several major UK cities and regions, the charity helps homeless people find appropriate accommodation, aim to assist them getting back into employment, and offer personal well-being services for people to transform their lives.

And through public appeals, research-informed lobbying of political leaders, and tireless work with other voluntary organisations, Crisis keeps the issue of housing justice high on the nation's agenda.

"It's the chosen charity for CWU young members," explains Rob, "and I'm a big supporter of the work they do helping homeless people in really practical ways as well as campaigning for more social housing and improved rights for tenants.

"I'm aiming to raise at least £250 - but I'm hoping to raise more than that if I can," he continued, adding: "That amount will fund 10 'Well-being Kits' or 25 'Welcome Kits', each of which represent a range of initial assistance services that Crisis provide to homeless people seeking help."

The Bristol event in June will be Rob's first triathlon, in which he will have to swim half a mile across the city's harbour, cycle for over a dozen miles through the town centre and up to the Clifton Suspension Bridge, and then run three miles along the towpath on the other side of the River Avon.

"I'm comfortable with the cycling - I did a 150-mile ride for the Keep the Post Public Campaign last summer - but I do need practice with my swimming and running," Rob told us, adding: "I want to complete the whole course in about an hour and a half if I can - I'm training 5 or 6 days a week with long distance cycles, circuit training and swimming sessions."

To find out more about how you can donate visitRob's JustGiving page. Visit crisis.org.uk for more information about Crisis and the work they do.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.