ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Two postmen retire after a combined century of service

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Two postmen retire after a combined century of service

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Two postmen retire after a combined century of first class service

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... en-6842354" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Between them they’ve notched up 100 years of first class service, but two dedicated Cardiff posties have now mailed their final letters and hung up their postbags.

During their decades at the Western Delivery Office in Cardiff, John Davies and his Royal Mail colleague Robert Mears have not only experienced the typical bad weather and vicious dogs but also bombs, fires and near-death experiences during their careers.

Reminiscing fondly about their time at the Cowbridge Road East depot – which also saw a customer leaving £10,000 to John in her will – the dynamic duo say they are also looking forward to a well-earned rest.

Mr Davies, 70, began his career as a 15-year-old telegram boy delivering around the city on a bicycle 55 years ago.



He said: “I can recall in the early 70s when a bomb exploded in the building, bringing the wall down. I was working night shifts when someone put a bomb in the postbox on the wall.

“I think whoever did it must’ve thought there was no-one working there but there were six of us there and it was so lucky no-one was killed.”

Recalling the day he pulled an obstruction from a colleague’s throat, stopping him from choking to death, Mr Davies, from Wyndham Road, Canton, said: “This guy had a seizure. Unfortunately he had a plate with two false teeth and it went down his throat.

“I thought he was having a heart attack, but I could tell he was choking on those teeth so I put my fingers in and pulled them out. The paramedic said I probably saved his life.

“He did thank me but there was no remuneration or anything like that,” he said.

Mr Davies – who was praised alongside Robert Mears, or Bob, as he is known to colleagues – at a presentation ceremony with his employers last week, said he always has one very important bit of advice for his colleagues, following the most notable highlight of his career.

He said: “A woman I hadn’t seen for 20 years left me £10,000 in her will.

“I was very grateful – I could remember her very, very well but it was a surprise. When I got the solicitor’s letter telling me I thought it said £100 because I was walking as I read it and I thought that was nice.

“But when I looked again, I thought, ‘Crikey, there’s too many zeros on there!’

“I always tell my colleagues to be very nice to their customers.”

Mr Mears, from Mynachdy, whose retirement after 45 years comes just months after he was attacked by a dog during his rural round, said the time has come to put his feet up.

“I’ve been doing rural for 20-odd years and I’ve seen the snow, wind, rain, all sorts,” the 60-year-old said. “I’ve had enough of that now, it’s time to relax and do things I want to do.”

Mr Davies added: “My whole career I’ve enjoyed most days I’ve come to work, which I’m sure a lot of people in other jobs can’t say.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Two postmen retire after a combined century of service

Post by Lounge Lizard »

" – which also saw a customer leaving £10,000 to John in her will – " So why is such a sensible gesture a newsworthy rarity ? :shock: