http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... r/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A town centre post office has closed because its counters are not wide enough to meet new rules and regulations, says its upset owner.
Just a missing ten inches means landlord Kareem Sweiss has been unable to sell the shop on Westgate, Baildon, to people keen to carry on the 30-year-old business, he said.
New rules in Post Office contracts insist counters must be at least 1.5m long – and the shop cannot be altered to squeeze that in, Mr Sweiss explained to customers in a letter put on the door when it closed on Friday.
“Unfortunately the counters at Baildon Post Office do not meet the new criteria laid down.
“The counters are approximately ten inches too short and we have insufficient space for new ones,” wrote Mr Sweiss.
“I have been negotiating to sell the post office for the past 18 months and have had three extremely keen buyers, but now I’ve just reached breaking point,” Mr Sweiss said yesterday.
“I’ve been in tears over the weekend.
“I’ve absolutely loved the spirit of goodwill in Baildon since I took over the business five years ago.
“One pensioner comes in every day just to buy a single second class stamp – it’s full of elderly people who pop in for a bit of human contact.
“But the business has really struggled and I’ve been operating it at a loss for over a year and simply cannot carry on any longer.
“This has had a devastating effect on me financially and it has also taken an even greater toll on my health,” he admitted.
Mr Sweiss initially ran the post office but recently he employed someone on his behalf.
His farewell letter ends: “I have tried to keep Baildon Post Office operating for the loyal people of Baildon for as long as possible and it is with sad regret that I have had to close.
“This will be permanent if the Post Office do not come to their senses. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience this will cause.”
And yesterday morning retired teacher Ann Patterson was one of many customers standing in disbelief outside the locked shop.
“I can’t believe it. This will make life terribly inconvenient for so many people, particularly pensioners.
“They can’t close it, it’s too important!” said Mrs Patterson, a Baildon resident since 1966.
Shipley MP Philip Davies was asked for help by Mr Sweiss and has written to the Post Office and to the Government’s Business Secretary Vince Cable to try and solve the problem.
He said: “He appears to be in an impossible situation in that he has potential buyers, but can’t sell it because the Post Office have changed the regulations.
“It defies common sense and would be totally unacceptable if people were denied this post office which is so valuable to the community.”
Town council chair Chris Flecknoe said she and other councillors were worried at the prospect of losing “an absolutely vital service”
“We are all very concerned and very much want a post office to continue in the town centre,” she said.
A Post Office spokesman said: “We would like to apologise to our customers for the sudden closure of the Baildon Post Office.
“This is due to the premises been withdrawn for Post Office use.
“We are doing everything possible to find a suitable alternative service for the community as soon as possible.
“In the meantime, customers can access services at Shipley Post Office, Station Road.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Baildon Post Office shut by 'too short' counter
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Baildon Post Office shut by 'too short' counter
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Baildon Post Office shut by 'too short' counter
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/n ... execution/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Baildon’s post office, which suddenly closed last week because its counters were too short under new regulations, is to re-open on Monday, its delighted owner revealed last night.
Kareem Sweiss closed the Westgate shop last Friday, exasperated that new Post Office rules meant his counters were not wide enough and therefore he could not sell the 30-year-old business as a going concern.
But after reports in the Telegraph & Argus and a massive public outcry in which Shipley MP Philip Davies wrote to Post Office bosses and petitions were organised by irate local residents, Mr Sweiss had a breakthrough meeting yesterday afternoon.
“I had a meeting with executives and they want me to open on Monday to return things to the status quo and deliver this much-needed service to the people of Baildon,” he said.
“I was fearful that closing the shop last week would prompt a negative reaction by I’ve only had tremendous support from people.”
Mr Sweiss put an emotional letter in the window of the shop explaining the factors behind its closure.
“People have offered me hope, prayers and support saying it was such a shame for it to happen to Baildon and to me.
“Now the Post Office have asked me to re-open and allow three weeks for them to have internal discussions to make Baildon Post Office into an exceptional case.”
Mr Sweiss said he had a keen potential buyer for the business if that happened.
“Then the sale could go ahead and the service to the public would be unhindered,” he said.
“It is such a relief to have a lifeline.
“I’m not quite rejoicing yet, but I have satisfaction that what I did in shutting the shop made people sit up and take notice.
“I’m a Christian and I’ve held it in my prayers and this is the best I can expect at this time.”
Bradford councillor Debbie Davies (Con, Baildon) has been trying to organise transport for pensioners to other post offices and said she was very pleased at the stay of execution.
“Everyone will be delighted by this.
“I and everyone have had loads of calls from people about the post office.
“Elderly people really need it, as do local traders. It’s very good news for the town.”
Baildon’s post office, which suddenly closed last week because its counters were too short under new regulations, is to re-open on Monday, its delighted owner revealed last night.
Kareem Sweiss closed the Westgate shop last Friday, exasperated that new Post Office rules meant his counters were not wide enough and therefore he could not sell the 30-year-old business as a going concern.
But after reports in the Telegraph & Argus and a massive public outcry in which Shipley MP Philip Davies wrote to Post Office bosses and petitions were organised by irate local residents, Mr Sweiss had a breakthrough meeting yesterday afternoon.
“I had a meeting with executives and they want me to open on Monday to return things to the status quo and deliver this much-needed service to the people of Baildon,” he said.
“I was fearful that closing the shop last week would prompt a negative reaction by I’ve only had tremendous support from people.”
Mr Sweiss put an emotional letter in the window of the shop explaining the factors behind its closure.
“People have offered me hope, prayers and support saying it was such a shame for it to happen to Baildon and to me.
“Now the Post Office have asked me to re-open and allow three weeks for them to have internal discussions to make Baildon Post Office into an exceptional case.”
Mr Sweiss said he had a keen potential buyer for the business if that happened.
“Then the sale could go ahead and the service to the public would be unhindered,” he said.
“It is such a relief to have a lifeline.
“I’m not quite rejoicing yet, but I have satisfaction that what I did in shutting the shop made people sit up and take notice.
“I’m a Christian and I’ve held it in my prayers and this is the best I can expect at this time.”
Bradford councillor Debbie Davies (Con, Baildon) has been trying to organise transport for pensioners to other post offices and said she was very pleased at the stay of execution.
“Everyone will be delighted by this.
“I and everyone have had loads of calls from people about the post office.
“Elderly people really need it, as do local traders. It’s very good news for the town.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.