ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Air mail? No, it's Pete the postie riding high

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Air mail? No, it's Pete the postie riding high

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/10462 ... ding_high/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

IS it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s an unusually tall bike ridden by a postman.

Pete Thompson, of Banbury Road, Summertown, Oxford, was spotted atop his bespoke contraption on his way to work on Monday morning.

The 42-year-old will not be pedalling it on his delivery duties – he usually walks – but is using it as a “summer” bike.

Mr Thompson, who is originally from Western Australia, has worked as a postman in Oxford for eight years.

He said: “I’d seen pictures of these kind of bikes on the internet and I just decided I’d like to get one.”

He found a man in Birmingham who specialises in building wacky machines – including ‘backwards bicycles’ – and placed an order.

The seat is 6ft high and the bike cost £250.

There is a small step attached to the back which allows the rider to climb on.

“Everyone smiles when they see me cycle past,” said Mr Thompson.

“I took the bike out to Port Meadow over the weekend and I had a couple wanting to take pictures of me. Someone recognised me as the ‘tall bike guy’ the other day, even though I didn’t have it with me.”



Mr Thompson broke his elbow five weeks ago when he was first trying out the bike in Cowley.

“The problem arose when I reached a red light, he said.

“You either have to jump off quickly or lean against the traffic lights for stability.”

But Mr Thompson – who drives an old Subaru Legacy when he does need to travel by car – is already pedalling to work again.

He said: “My wife has been insisting on me wearing elbow pads.”

His biggest precaution now has been careful planning of his routes.

He said: “The bike’s only got one gear so I have to avoid big hills, or just ride up them very slowly! I don’t cycle very fast on it at all.”

This is not the first time Mr Thompson has ridden a strange bicycle and he plans to embark on more unusual journeys.

“I actually rode an old Post Office bike to Paris once because I couldn’t afford to get there any other way,” he said.

Future plans are to ride his tall bike from Oxford to London for charity.

But for now the public will have to make the most of spotting Mr Thompson on his bike in Oxford this summer.

“I won’t be taking it out in the winter – it’s probably a bit unpractical with the weather,” he said.

“I should probably add that the council needs to trim branches around the city for us tall bike riders!”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Air mail? No, it's Pete the postie riding high

Post by Thunderthighs »

I knew cycling gave you a "Natural High", but that's ridiculous!
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Air mail? No, it's Pete the postie riding high

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Thunderthighs wrote:I knew cycling gave you a "Natural High", but that's ridiculous!
He no doubt gets a good view into bedroom windows. :crazy:
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Air mail? No, it's Pete the postie riding high

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Thunderthighs wrote:I knew cycling gave you a "Natural High", but that's ridiculous!
He no doubt gets a good view into bedroom windows. :crazy:
You might have stumbled onto the real reason he bought the bike.
Also a good advertising campaign for the company that sells them.... :whistle
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.