ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Praise for hero postman who chased Blandford jewel thief

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Praise for hero postman who chased Blandford jewel thief

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisisdorset.co.uk/story-189 ... z2SxPlIvRU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A BRAVE postman and a quick-thinking passer-by have been praised for helping police catch a suspected thief after a bracelet worth £10,000 was snatched from the Horrocks and Webb jewellers in Blandford.

Shopowner Trina Horrocks has thanked local postman Alistair Baker and a mystery local hero after their actions led to the recovery of the sapphire and diamond bangle.
​
Trina and Tony Horrocks present Alistair Baker with a watch to thank him for his bravery following a theft from the shop in Blandford (Picture: Nicci Brown)

The bangle was snatched by a man who ran from the shop and onto Salisbury Street at around 3.30pm on Saturday 27th April.

Mr Baker was walking into town when he heard Mrs Horrocks cry “stop thief” and saw the suspect running away. He immediately gave chase, leaping over the bonnet of an oncoming taxi as he pursued the man.

An unknown man joined the pursuit and the chase ensued along The Plocks, Church Lane, Sheep Market Hill, Orchard Street, Damory Street and Oakfield Street.

While giving chase, Mr Baker used his phone to help police track the suspect’s whereabouts. Officers eventually managed to apprehend the man in the town’s Co-op car park.

During what he described as a “frantic five-minute chase”, the postman used his knowledge of local streets to keep up with the suspect, who he said showed a complete disregard for busy traffic and even changed his appearance by ditching his long jacket and deerstalker hat when out of sight.

“I never stopped to think about what I was doing. It was purely instinctive,” Mr Baker said.

“I have an inherent hatred of theft because our home was burgled twice when I was a child. I feel a moral obligation to say we won’t accept this in our town.

“I am always aware of the risk of crime - I carry mail around so I'm always aware of the risk of crime.”

Mrs Horrocks said she was extremely grateful to Mr Baker and the unknown man, who she is keen to hear from, for their bravery and quick-thinking.

“Had it not been for these two men, the bangle would not have been returned,” she said.

“In my opinion it is people like them who make a real difference.

“It is so reassuring to know there are people like them out there - these wonderful people restore my faith in humanity. They are real heroes.

“I would also like to thank Dorset Police for doing a great job and keeping us informed. The PCSOs have been great.”

Mrs Horrocks explained that the theft of the bangle left her stunned.

“He just shot out of the door and across the road,” she said.

A 29-year-old Bournemouth man has been arrested and charged with shoplifting. He is due to appear in Weymouth Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday 14th May.

Anyone with information should contact Dorset Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Wessex
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1267
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 17:20

Re: Praise for hero postman who chased Blandford jewel thief

Post by Wessex »

The thief "changed his appearance by ditching his long jacket and deerstalker hat when out of sight. " :Very Happy .
Dorset , where even the shoplifters are posh.