ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The extra special delivery from the postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ds-newsxml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ian Shillcott, 48, has polycystic kidney disease, which causes cysts to form

Resulted in kidney failure and him needing dialysis or a transplant

None of his family were matches but his colleague Charles Czajkowski, 44, offered to be tested - and was found to be a perfect match


A postman has been saved from a life dependent upon dialysis thanks to a colleague who gave him a new kidney.

Ian Shillcott, 48, suffers from polycystic kidney disease, which caused cysts to form and his kidneys to fail.

Doctors warned him that he would need kidney dialysis to clean his blood within months, unless a donor could be found to allow him to have a transplant.

All of his family members were tested, but none were suitable donors, so Mr Shillcott faced a race against time to find a compatible organ.

Ian Shillcott was given a new kidney by Charles Czajkowski after his polycystic kidney disease caused his kidneys to fail

To his relief, his colleague, Charles Czajkowski, 44, offered to be tested - and was found to be a perfect match.

The pair underwent surgery earlier this month and grandfather-of-three, Mr Shillcott, is now returning to full health.

He said: ‘It is like winning the lottery because all of a sudden I have gone from falling asleep most days, to three weeks later I am absolutely buzzing.

‘It has been very emotional. Out of the blue at work one day Chalkie, as we call him, came up to me and said “by the way, I want to give you my kidney”.

‘I was floored, it was quite amazing really.’

Without a transplant, Mr Shillcott would have needed kidney dialysis to clean his blood because his kidney function had dropped to 24 per cent


Before he received the new kidney from Mr Czajkowski (right), Mr Shillcott (left) was so exhausted that he could only work part-time

Speaking of his donation, Mr Czajkowski said: ‘It is the fact it makes such a difference to somebody else.

‘People lose track of that in their lives. Every now and again something comes along that allows you to make a difference.

‘Luckily, I got to do that for somebody else.’

The postmen have worked together at the Royal Mail depot in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, for eight years – Mr Czajkowski as a door-to-door postman and Mr Shillcott in customer services.

They also both own allotments and became good friends through gardening.

After leaving the army 16 years ago, Mr Shillcott was diagnosed with the genetic kidney condition.

It causes cysts – fluid-filled sacs – to develop in the kidneys which mean they gradually lose more and more of their function.

The two men underwent surgery at Southmead Hospital in Bristol on April 5

Symptoms include abdominal pain, blood in the urine and high blood pressure.

Eventually, it can cause kidney failure which causes symptoms including tiredness and shortness of breath.

If the condition is severe enough, the patient will need dialysis or a kidney transplant.

There is no treatment for polycystic kidney disease.

Last year Mr Shillcott’s kidney function dropped dramatically to 24 per cent meaning he was placed on the transplant list.

However, no one came forward as a match and he began to resign himself to giving up his job for a future on dialysis.

They are now recovering and Mr Shillcott is looking forward to getting back to normality and to returning to long distance running

He said: ‘I had been seeing my kidney function decrease and I was heading towards dialysis, I was not far off at all.

‘The plan was always to have dialysis because nobody had come forward to give me a kidney, there were just no matches.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS POLYCYSTIC KIDNEY DISEASE?
It is a genetic condition that causes multiple cysts to develop on the kidneys.

Symptoms tend to begin in adulthood and include abdominal pain, high blood pressure and blood in the urine.

Over time the condition causes the kidneys to lose more and more of their function.

Eventually it can lead to kidney disease which has symptoms including tiredness, swollen ankles and shortness of breath.

There is no treatment so patients sometimes need dialysis or a transplant.

The condition affects one in every 1,000 people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
‘As my kidney function failed life had narrowed down to a sort of blinkered view of the future, I couldn't really do a lot and I was on half days because I needed to sleep so much.

‘Then out of the blue Chalkie offered me his kidney.

‘For a live donor the success rate is 98 per cent. There is always a risk and that chance it is going to fail but when someone says it is 98 per cent you have to go for it.’

After months of tests, they underwent surgery at Southmead Hospital, Bristol, on April 5.

Mr Czajkowski, from Wick St Lawrence, north Somerset, said: ‘Somebody told me one day that you don't have to be deceased to be a donor, you can give certain organs while you are still alive, and I have to confess that thought never really crossed my mind.

‘There is not enough publicity, everybody thinks you have to be dead, nobody really realises you can be a live donor.

‘I think that's why it's gone so well, the kidney was live and functioning really well, so it was a lot easier to transplant.’

The pair became friends because they both enjoy gardening on their allotments

Mr Shillcott, from Weston-super-Mare, is now looking forward to returning to a normal life and to resuming long distance running.
‘I'm very much into my running, I was running up to 40 miles a week, but I had to stop six or seven months ago,’ he said.

‘I really, really miss it so I'm really looking forward to getting back into it, I did the London Marathon three years ago so I look forward to doing that again.

‘They have told me I can do what I want, no food restrictions, nothing.

‘I intend to travel and do everything I couldn't. It had all gone so narrow and I couldn't really do any of that, now it has all opened up.’
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Post by clashcityrocker »

So assuming Mr Czajkowski needed time off to recuperate after the surgery, do you think he triggered a stage warning and was it issued? :hmmmm

Anyway well done to him. That is an enormous gift to give, and lets hope his one remaining kidney functions perfectly for the rest of his life. :Applause
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
ebbzie
Posts: 660
Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Post by ebbzie »

wow amazing man :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Post by noggin1969 »

Well done , some selfless people out there :Applause Although I couldn't see anybody want my kidney :left:
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Post by Stormproof »

Well done and a speedy recovery to both.......hope RM see sense regarding Stages but you never know :crazy:
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
morselll
Posts: 29
Joined: 30 Jan 2007, 11:00

Re: postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Post by morselll »

i would be very surprised if they did issue a stage, its a wonderfull gesture to offer some one one of your kidneys, after 2 years on dyalasis, im still hoping the phone rings with an offer that is life changing i wish him all the best
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: postman who donated his sick colleague a kidney

Post by stokes11eg »

:Very Happy .good forthem both, but like most I wonder how long it will be before R/M issue warnings!