Birmingham man left for dead by hit-and-run driver on zebra crossing
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/lo ... er-2525752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman has told how he was left for dead after a hit-and-run motorist drove into him on a Birmingham zebra crossing.
Ian Tan, 52, was thrown over the bonnet and knocked unconscious after being struck by the car in Middleton Hall Road, Kings Norton.
Incredibly, the driver then reversed around him to take a closer look – before speeding from the scene.
The first Ian knew of the accident was when he woke up in the ambulance suffering a head injury, a fractured knee, four fractured ribs and bruising.
He spent six days in hospital before discharging himself, but is still taking pain killers and morphine.
Police are now hunting the driver.
Ian, a former Solihull Council Anti Social Behaviour Officer, had only just started his new job as a postman when the collision happened at around 11pm on March 28.
He said: “I was walking from Kings Norton railway station after meeting some friends earlier in the night in Edgbaston.
“All I remember was walking into Middleton Hall Road and stepping on to the crossing.
‘‘The next thing I remember was waking up in an ambulance. The police told me that a witness saw a small dark hatchback car hit me.
“I was sent flying over the bonnet before the car stopped, reversed around me, opened the door to have a look and then left me for dead.
“I could easily have been killed.
“I spent six months out of work and had just started as a postman. Bit I now don’t know if I’ll have a job to go back to when I recover.
‘‘Someone somewhere may have seen a neighbour with a damaged bonnet and I am asking them to come forward.”
A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police confirmed officers were investigating the hit-and-run and were still searching for the driver.
She added a trawl of CCTV was ongoing and urged anyone with information to call 101, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Birmingham man left for dead by hit-and-run driver
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Birmingham man left for dead by hit-and-run driver
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Birmingham man left for dead by hit-and-run driver
Hate it when this happens. Driver obviously at fault but unwilling to face the consequences.
Did once see a near miss on a pedestrian crossing, a girl of about 11/12 narrowly missed by a woman speeding at not paying attention to the red light, the crossing was also beeping (for the blind), after just missing the driver had the nerve to beep at the girl!
Did once see a near miss on a pedestrian crossing, a girl of about 11/12 narrowly missed by a woman speeding at not paying attention to the red light, the crossing was also beeping (for the blind), after just missing the driver had the nerve to beep at the girl!
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.