ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

South Shields postman saves elderly woman hurt in garden

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

South Shields postman saves elderly woman hurt in garden

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... ly-2492238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Hero postie Kris Dowdie saved an elderly woman’s life when he found her bleeding in the snow.

Kris was on his rounds in Broadway, South Shields, when he spotted the woman dazed and injured in her garden.

She had slipped while hanging out her washing and it is believed she could have been sitting out in the cold for up to two hours.

Now Kris – whose actions are believed to have saved the woman’s life – is appealing for her family to get in touch.

Kris, 22, said: “I was just on my rounds and I saw someone sitting down in the garden. When I got closer I saw she had cut her head and she had blood trickling down her face.

“I instantly called the ambulance, and I put my jacket round her and my hoodie over her legs. I tried to keep her as awake as possible.”

Kris said the woman was shocked and confused from her fall, and couldn’t respond to any of his questions. She had lost a lot of blood from the cut above her eye, and was extremely cold.

The spot where she had fallen was out of view of her neighbours, so she could have been sitting in the sleet for hours if Kris hadn’t come by.

“A jogger came past and also came to help,” added Kris, who lives in South Shields with partner Emily Kirton, also 22. “He suggested I go inside and try and find some blankets.

“We wrapped those round her too and then sat on either side of her to keep her warm.”

When a fast response paramedic arrived, Kris and the jogger helped the woman back into the house where she was given initial first aid until the arrival of the ambulance.

“After that I finished my round,” said Kris, who has been working as a postman for four years. “I was a bit cold though. My jacket was covered in blood so I couldn’t wear it.

“A few people at work have been praising me, but I like to think it was what anyone would do. You couldn’t see someone with blood running down her head and walk away. I just feel happy to have been able to help.”

Kris has been back to the house a few times since the incident, but so far no one has been in.

He is keen to meet the elderly lady again to see how she is, and is appealing for her family to get in touch.

l If you know the woman, call the Chronicle on 0191 201 6446.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bag69
Posts: 297
Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 19:52
Gender: Male

Re: South Shields postman saves elderly woman hurt in garden

Post by bag69 »

Obviously not on P&L yet. You don't have time to do things like that!! On a personal note, well done that man.
Sidley
Posts: 653
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
Gender: Male

Re: South Shields postman saves elderly woman hurt in garden

Post by Sidley »

Well done big Kris! Pity they spelled his name wrong. I wonder how long she would have been there post revision.