http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... g_packets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A postman was caught stealing from the mail after investigators ‘planted’ three gift cards and set up a covert surveillance operation.
Blackburn magistrates heard Barrie Sean Leadley left the Blackburn sorting office with 10 postal packets, including the three planted packets, and when he was stopped two and a half hours later they were all still in his possession and intact.
Richard Prew, defending, said his client, who had a previously unblemished record, had intended to return them to the depot. Leadley, 39, of Cravens Heath, Blackburn, was convicted after a trial of theft from the Royal Mail Group Limited. He was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison suspended for 12 months, ordered to do 180 hours unpaid work and pay £230 costs.
Mark Phillips, prosecuting, said none of the 10 packages taken by Leadley were from his own round.
“The post office say this was a targeted theft with an element of pre-planning,” said Mr Phillips. Mr Prew said Leadley had worked for the Post Office for 18 years and had an unblemished record. He said the night before the incident Leadley had rowed with his wife and had sat up all night before going to work.
“The row was about many things including money,” said Mr Prew. “When he got to work the following morning he did something which was extremely out of character and took the packets out of the mail. “His argument at trial was that he was going to return the packages but you colleagues rejected that and found him guilty of theft at the moment he left the sorting office.”
Mr Prew said Leadley had resigned from his job at the Post Office.
“He is racked with remorse for his actions that morning,” said Mr Prew.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
watt tyler
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 22:02
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
behind every successful man theres a good woman. quote.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
So those postie's whose round those packets were off would have been suspected if this creature had got away with it,spineless bastard.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
Blah,blah,blah...my heart is bleeding here.He said the night before the incident Leadley had rowed with his wife and had sat up all night before going to work.
If I nicked something every time I had a row with someone I would need to rent storage space.
So IB set up a trap out of the blue because they were bored maybe?When he got to work the following morning he did something which was extremely out of character and took the packets out of the mail.
Of course he was.....His argument at trial was that he was going to return the packages
I have a certain amount of understanding for people who steal out of desperation and maybe this guy falls into that category,maybe not but the bullshit lawyers come out with when trying to argue mitigation is difficult to stomach.
I hate lawyers,I really do.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
So his defence was, essentially, that he was just borrowing the packets. He's obviously done it before, or else this has to be the first time someone has been caught stealing mail actually on the very first occasion they've stolen some. If he isn't guilty, why resign? He was caught red handed, and rather than admit his crime, he tries to squirm out of it. Scum. Both him and his lawyer.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
Packets ?..... No folks it's PARCELS

"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
silly suffolk
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 728
- Joined: 04 Mar 2011, 21:31
- Gender: Male
- Location: deepest suffolk
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
he's a thief, and as such has no place being a postman, because our biggest asset is trust and honesty. he should have gone to prison. having said that you can still feel compassion for the bloke if his old woman is giving him grief. but he should have stood up to her.
-
beria
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 30 Apr 2012, 05:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
Its a WALK NOT ROUND! 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
Its a duty not a walkberia wrote:Its a WALK NOT ROUND!
Especially if you are on P&L.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Blackburn postman convicted of stealing packets
Call it what you want ,you know what I mean.beria wrote:Its a WALK NOT ROUND!
For we were soldiers once,and young