Westbury-on-Trym residents: We got no post for a week, but neighbours did
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Westbury ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HOUSEHOLDERS who spent a week without any mail were told a postman could not deliver for "health and safety reasons" – despite neighbouring streets still receiving letters.
The first post for a week landed on doormats in Delvin Road, Westbury- on-Trym, yesterday.
Snow first fell on Friday of last week, turning to ice on many of the city's pavements after being compacted by being walked on and frozen by frost.
Delvin Road residents first called Royal Mail at the start of this week to ask what had happened to their deliveries and were told they had been suspended. But in neighbouring Tuffley Road and Lake Road a postman was still making deliveries.
Mark Wilson, 44, who lives in Delvin Road and runs a software support business from home, told The Post: "I realised at the start of the week that we hadn't received post for quite a while as I was waiting for some documents to arrive.
"When I rang Royal Mail I was told that occupational health and safety reasons meant the postman was unable to deliver due to the weather.
"It was surprising to see a postman still delivering in Lake Road – it seems unclear whether these rules applied to the whole organisation or just the individual postman."
Jo Willis, 31, a full-time mum who also lives in Delvin Road, said: "I realised I hadn't received post for quite a while and talking to neighbours I heard that our postman couldn't deliver in the snow due to health and safety reasons.
"It's my little boy's birthday in a few days and we'd ordered a few things online – I was starting to worry that he wouldn't receive any cards or presents."
Barbara Swirk, 31, a cafe worker who lives in Delvin Road, said: "I think that if the postman is worried he will slip over then it's fair enough."
Residents in Tuffley Road and Lake Road confirmed they had received post throughout the last week.
Royal Mail spokeswoman Morag Turnbull said staff were attempting to make deliveries where it was safe to do so but the effect of the "severe weather" in the Bristol area over the last few days mean that it had not been possible to make rounds in some areas.
Ms Turnbull added: "We apologise to customers who are experiencing delays to their deliveries in Bristol as a result of the severe winter weather conditions there.
"A range of measures have been put in place to ensure deliveries reach people as quickly as possible.
"We are doing our utmost to ensure continued deliveries but it may not be possible to do so everywhere because of the weather."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Westbury-on-Trym residents: We got no post for a week,
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Westbury-on-Trym residents: We got no post for a week,
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Westbury-on-Trym residents: We got no post for a week,
'A range of measures'
How these words just roll off Morags tongue.
How these words just roll off Morags tongue.
-
Flashman_
- Posts: 363
- Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
- Gender: Male
Re: Westbury-on-Trym residents: We got no post for a week,
Lol, we are still dealing with our backlog, we are up to about yesterday now !