ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The Brownsea Island water postman who always delivers

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

The Brownsea Island water postman who always delivers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-20798721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

s wind lashed the Dorset coast, the Royal Mail postman was out and about on his regular delivery sporting a Santa hat.

Only once this year has the 37-year-old from Bournemouth failed to deliver to the 500-acre Dorset island.

'Jolly soul'
"It was incredibly blowy that day and the waves were coming right up over the boat and the service was cancelled," he said.

"It was pretty rocky today - but I've known it to be worse.

"It's not great in this weather and at this time of year it's still dark.

Image
The small boat he catches each morning is owned by the trust
"I don't think a lot of postmen like delivering to Brownsea but I quite like it because you can leave the office early and get out of the boss's hair."

Mr Bartlett said he has got to know most of the people on Brownsea over the past two years.

The majority of the island is owned by the National Trust and most of those who live there work for the organisation.

The small boat the postman catches each morning, from Sandbanks in Dorset, is owned by the trust.

No other public vessels cross over to the island in the winter, he said.

The father of one said: "I think the people living on the island do appreciate the service because they realise that there's no other islands in the area where we deliver. I have a laugh with some of them.

"People on some of the other islands have to go to the mainland to pick up their mail because the islands are privately owned.

"I will be delivering up to and including Christmas Eve."

A Royal Mail spokesman said: "It's certainly an unusual delivery but actually it's the sort of delivery that is reflected all around the UK.

"Mr Bartlett is quite a jolly soul. What he does shows that Royal Mail is really part of Christmas and we deliver anywhere in the UK - no matter how remote."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.