http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/j ... 34695.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pics in link
It is a basic manoeuvre motorists are expected to perform before passing their driving test.
But one lorry driver’s attempt to complete a three-point turn went badly wrong - when the vehicle’s cab got stuck between two poles on the pavement.
The bungled effort left the huge Royal Mail lorry jack-knifed on the busy central London road, blocking most of the road for three-and-a-half hours last night.
Police soon swooped to redirect traffic before a lorry breakdown service arrived on the scene.
The driver, who did not wish to be named, told the Standard: “I had someone directing me, but I just didn’t see one of the poles. I tried to turn the lorry but the air-line disconnected and the brakes went. Once that’s happened, you’re a gonner.”
He added: “It’s not ideal what has happened. I’ve been driving 18 years and this is the first time I’ve done this.”
Eye-witness Hai Phan, 36, who works at a nearby restaurant, saw the incident unfold around on Clerkenwell Road, Islington, around 7.30pm last night.
He said: “I watched this massive truck try to do a U-turn. I saw him getting into a bit of trouble with it, it was a bit embarrassing. Then you saw the connection between the container and the cab went.
“It was a strange thing to try and do on that road. He should have just carried on going until he could just change his journey. It wouldn’t have been far. He jammed between two poles, and that was it. He was definitely being too ambitious.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Jack-knifed RM lorry creates huge delays around Islington
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32803
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Jack-knifed RM lorry creates huge delays around Islington
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Jack-knifed RM lorry creates huge delays around Islingto
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Jack-knifed RM lorry creates huge delays around Islingto
Wow - that is one impressive Jack Knife - 


All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DAF85
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 23 Oct 2010, 19:52
- Gender: Male
Re: Jack-knifed RM lorry creates huge delays around Islingto
Well that's definitely an NDC lorry V4 from the pics PN07 UCS but.. when is RM going to learn 16'2" trailers around London is stupidity. One wrong turn or diversion and you are knackered......
Doesn't sound like all is going well with the over length 110's either
Doesn't sound like all is going well with the over length 110's either
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Jack-knifed RM lorry creates huge delays around Islingto
Indeed, and the way mail volumes keep dropping you wouldn't think they need such big wagons.DAF85 wrote:Well that's definitely an NDC lorry V4 from the pics PN07 UCS but.. when is RM going to learn 16'2" trailers around London is stupidity. One wrong turn or diversion and you are knackered......
Doesn't sound like all is going well with the over length 110's either
-
FairyFoot
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 08 Jun 2012, 12:38
- Gender: Female
Re: Jack-knifed RM lorry creates huge delays around Islingto
Well, if you are going to have a "mishap" might as well make it a big one!
I am a Postcrosser, and penpaller. I send nice post.