http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/Features ... 072012.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTIE who stamped his authority on one Moray route has retired after spending an incredible 30 years delivering letters and parcels to the same addresses.
Ian Smith only distributed mail to the community of Spey Bay during a postal career which stretched just over three decades.
But such was his rapport with the locals that he never wished it any other way.
"It’s a lifetime. Spey Bay was the only round that I ever did," said Ian, who lives on Murrayfield in Fochabers with wife Barbara. "It was a great community to serve, right enough. It really was.
"Once I started in Spey Bay I just carried on. They were just great folk to get along with and they never had any complaints – at least I hope they never!"
Ian said he knows of no other Royal Mail employee, at least locally, who has served just one town or village for such a long period.
Known locally as ‘Peenie’, his nickname since he was a toddler, the 65-year-old said he is now having to get used to life without his van and bundles of letters and parcels.
A keen cyclist, Ian was both delighted and humbled when the customers on his round held a collection to buy him a new road bike.
"I miss the folk and the wee bits of banter every day, and the laughs and the jokes," Ian admitted.
"Now I am just winding down and getting used to things. For the first fortnight it seemed like a holiday, but now I am just trying to keep myself occupied.
"I used to cycle quite a bit and now I am getting back into that. The community had a collection and got me a new road racing bike, which was absolutely great, so now I am getting back into that way of things again."
Yvonne Sharp, who lives at Auchenhalrig, Spey Bay, said Ian had always gone above and beyond for the customers on his route.
"He has covered the Spey Bay round for the last 30 years and has been an excellent postie. I am sure many people will agree," she said.
"He always got our mail to us. Even in the deepest of snow he would always battle through.
"We could not have asked for a better person for a postie. He always had a cheery smile and was always willing to help anyone if he could.
"We will really miss him, but we would like to wish him well in his retirement and acknowledge the good work he has done over the last 30 years."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
"Yvonne Sharp, who lives at Auchenhalrig, Spey Bay, said Ian had always gone above and beyond for the customers on his route."
Breakfast ?

Breakfast ?
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32803
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: 'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
Lounge Lizard wrote:"Yvonne Sharp, who lives at Auchenhalrig, Spey Bay, said Ian had always gone above and beyond for the customers on his route."![]()
![]()
Breakfast ?![]()
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16702
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Re: 'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
What about the floater?
I bet Peenie shafted him.
I bet Peenie shafted him.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: 'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
Maybe he wears a peenie on his delivery 
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32803
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: 'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
clashcityrocker wrote:What about the floater?
I bet Peenie shafted him.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: 'Peenie' the postie served Spey Bay for 30 years
Yes, should have been Speyed.clashcityrocker wrote:What about the floater?
I bet Peenie shafted him.