http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/story ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
A CITY postman has won his battle to get funding for cancer therapy - despite being refused first time around.
Radcliff Juggi, 46, of Whatton Road, Sherwood, was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in 2010.
Despite surgery to remove a tumour in his pelvis, the cancer returned in November last year, and medics told the father-of-two his only chance was a treatment used at a cancer unit in London.
Mr Juggi, who has worked for Royal Mail for more than 18 years, applied to the health body which administers funding for such treatments, NHS Midlands and East, but he was told in June he would be refused funding.
However, he has now been told he will get the treatment.
He said that without it he could be dead within a year but now hopes to be around for a decade and to see his children grow up.
He said: "My children would say to me 'why are you crying?' I have had to fight so hard to get this funding and people shouldn't have to.
"Of course, now that I have been allowed it I am overjoyed and relieved – but why did it have to take so long?"
Mr Juggi, who is married to Charell and has two children, Alecia, 13, and Tahir, four, contacted the Post and MP Chris Leslie to help him get the treatment.
He said: "I have a wife and two children, and not only have I been in severe pain, I have been living every day as though it's my last.
"I will never be cured but this therapy will keep the cancer under control and allow me to live for a lot longer."
The postman, whose round is in the city centre, was diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour in his pelvis.
It is a group of unusual tumours that develop from neuroendocrine cells.
These are specialised cells that release hormones into the blood when they are stimulated by nerves.
Neuroendocrine tumours may be malignant or benign and are often slow-growing.
Doctors told him he would need peptide receptor radio-targeted therapy at The Royal Free Hospital in London to keep the tumour under control.
The therapy is not licensed by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence and can only be administered after being reviewed by a panel of experts.
The NHS Midlands and East strategic health authority said: "We are pleased the situation has now been resolved."
However, it would not say why it changed its mind.
Mr Leslie said: "It's positive that the decision now gives him this hope for the treatment, but it's unfortunate it was made too slowly. I hope in future we can get some clarity quicker."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Nottingham postman wins fight for cancer treatment
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Nottingham postman wins fight for cancer treatment
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
stokes11eg
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3077
- Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
- Gender: Female
Re: Nottingham postman wins fight for cancer treatment
-
jacksey
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 10 Apr 2008, 19:29
Re: Nottingham postman wins fight for cancer treatment
nice to hear some good news for a change GOOD LUCK