http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Articl ... 2?UserKey=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MATHS COULD GIVE ANSWER TO ‘AMAZING COINCIDENCE’
By Stephen Christie
Published: 28/12/2009
A NORTH-EAST man has appealed for a mathematician to calculate the odds of an “amazing coincidence”.
Stanley Bruce, 60, almost collapsed in shock when he discovered his friend and Royal Mail colleague Jim Grant, 52, had signed up for the Army on the same day in 1975 – within minutes of each other and in different cities.
His amazement was compounded when it emerged both men had applied on the same day 33 years later for jobs as collections drivers with the Royal Mail in Aberdeen.
Mr Bruce, of Alexander Drive, Tillydrone, Aberdeen, said: “It was just after Remembrance Day this year and Jim came into work and said, ‘I hope you stood to attention’.
“I told him I had but that I didn’t know what to think about during the minute silence so I just recited my Army number in my head.
“When I told him what my number, was Jim looked amazed – the first seven digits were exactly the same as his, with mine ending in one and Jim’s two.
“It meant we must have signed up within minutes of each other but we had done so in different cities.”
Upon further investigation, the two men discovered that they had both enlisted on September 5, 1975, Mr Bruce in Aberdeen, Mr Grant, now of Dunlin Road, Cove Bay, 100 miles away in Inverness.
It then emerged that on November 15, 2008 they applied successfully for the same job at Royal Mail.
Mr Bruce added: “It’s almost beyond belief. It’s an amazing coincidence but the odds of it happening must be millions to one.
“For two people who did not know each other before 2008 to discover they signed up for the Army within minutes of each other but in different cities then 33 years later apply for the same job on the same day in the same city is simply mind-boggling. This is definitely one for the mathematicians.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
History repeats itself with Royal Mail pair
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
History repeats itself with Royal Mail pair
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: History repeats itself with Royal Mail pair
I think getting a life would be a start
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: History repeats itself with Royal Mail pair
And they will most likely die within minutes of each other.

-
Captain Scarlet
- Posts: 322
- Joined: 02 Jul 2007, 15:23
- Location: Fifer
Re: History repeats itself with Royal Mail pair
Maybe they are twins

-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: History repeats itself with Royal Mail pair
Or even the same person.Captain Scarlet wrote:Maybe they are twins![]()
![]()
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: History repeats itself with Royal Mail pair
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Get a bucket of sand and start the lamp swinging.