ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Maryport postie's temporary job lasted 32 years

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Maryport postie's temporary job lasted 32 years

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/1.511237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last updated 14:00, Tuesday, 10 February 2009

A Maryport postman who has been chased by dogs, confronted by angry sheep, a ferocious goose, and a vicious pet cat has retired after 32 years.

Bob Clark, of Netherton, Maryport, celebrated his 65th birthday yesterday.

He has worked in Maryport, Broughton Moor and Crosby for more than three decades.

For the past five years he worked in the Allonby area, including Mawbray and Edderside.

He said this was his favourite area. “The people are champion. I am always last back from my run because there is always time for a chat,” he said.

Mr Clark was born in Maryport and worked on a farm when he left school. He also worked in shoe factories before becoming an engineer.

He decided to become a postie and try something new. “I thought it would only be temporary but it has lasted 32 years,” he said.

Dogs are often the postman’s worst enemy, but Mr Clark disagrees.

He said: “I have been chased a couple of times but I don’t usually have any trouble. I am not afraid.”

He has been bitten, though – by a family cat. He said: “I put my hand through a letter box and the cat latched on. I was bleeding quite badly, all over the mail too. The next day there was an envelope stuck to the letter box saying, ‘Sorry, postie.’ I opened it and inside was a bit of plaster! I’ve kept it.”

He has also been chased by a goose and, in Flimby, by a sheep.

“There was a tame sheep owned by a farmer at the bottom of Flimby Brow. It hated the postman and chased us every day,” he explained.

Mr Clark and his wife Eleanor have plenty to look forward to in retirement, including a visit to their daughter and grandchildren in Australia and spending more time with their two other children and their grandchildren in Maryport
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.