Hi. I have been signed off sick for a few weeks by the doctor for mental health reasons whilst I deal with some stuff that needs sorting. It is actually nothing to do with work but for personal reasons that I don't want at present to talk about.
My doctor informed me that she has signed me off and all I need to tell work is that it is for personal reasons and leave it at that. My manager to be fair has been understanding and was respectful of this on the phone when I phoned them up on the first day. But they said because it was mental health they would have to refer me to occupational health and today I got a text from Optima Health confirming that an occupational health telephone appointment has been scheduled.
Is this occupational health thing confidential? Like can I talk openly without fear that it will be reported back to my manager?
Or is it a case of management checking up on me?
It will be useful to know in advance which is the case. Thanks.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Occupational Health
-
cathmundo
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 17 Mar 2017, 12:01
- Gender: Female
Re: Occupational Health
It will be sent to your manager but you are entitled to ask for 'Prior Sight' before OH send it to them, you can check everything has been stated correctly and get it changed if wrong etc. Hope this helps
-
CHUCKYPIG
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Occupational Health
Ok thank you for the heads up. I will be careful with what I say then if it is not confidential.
Both my doctor and counsellor have said that I do not need to tell work anything because I am signed off by a doctor for personal reasons. And that work should not be pressuring me to say more. I wonder what the legal position on this is?
Am I entitled to just say to OH that it is for personal reasons and I do not want to say anymore?
Or do I need to tell them more and are my doctors/counsellors wrong?
Both my doctor and counsellor have said that I do not need to tell work anything because I am signed off by a doctor for personal reasons. And that work should not be pressuring me to say more. I wonder what the legal position on this is?
Am I entitled to just say to OH that it is for personal reasons and I do not want to say anymore?
Or do I need to tell them more and are my doctors/counsellors wrong?
-
cathmundo
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 17 Mar 2017, 12:01
- Gender: Female
Re: Occupational Health
saying you are struggling with your mental health and are unable to work because of it, they may ask about treatment and you can advise of medication/counseling, etc and that should be enough, make sure you say you want 'prior sight' before they start though as they tend to make sure they are accurate...they just need to determine if they feel you are fit for work or worst case ill-health retirement, etc
-
cathmundo
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 17 Mar 2017, 12:01
- Gender: Female
Re: Occupational Health
Which obviously you arent either if you have been signed off by doctor
-
CHUCKYPIG
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 07 Apr 2020, 21:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Occupational Health
OK thanks for the info. Especially the prior sight, I will ask for that. Yes I can tell them that I am getting counselling and taking steps to resolve my issues without going into too much detail.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32805
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Occupational Health
If your manager sees your conversation notes and you are not happy then obviously tell them you don't want to discuss it with them in too much detail.
I personally can't see what a manager can do with your personal notes anyway as he's not a GP or anything like that.
Thank you catmundo for your help and info on the matter as well.
I personally can't see what a manager can do with your personal notes anyway as he's not a GP or anything like that.
Thank you catmundo for your help and info on the matter as well.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.