ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
-
DM66
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Jul 2012, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
I’m off ill this week with a bladder infection. I’ve told my boss I won’t be back as I’m on a course of antibiotics and need to obviously rest. I am on annual leave from this Saturday and my boss has told me I must come in this Friday before my leave starts to fill in a return to work ( otherwise my annual leave will start to count as sick aswell) . I did ask if this could be done by email or done by phone but no apparently it HAS to be done face to face.
Obviously I’m in a lot of pain and wanted to know if this is legal. There must be allowances for this when your ill but can’t make it in.
Obviously I’m in a lot of pain and wanted to know if this is legal. There must be allowances for this when your ill but can’t make it in.
-
Pidleypoo
- Posts: 705
- Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
You can’t be off sick and annual leave at the same time , he’s taking the piss.
Do not go in , get a sick note and you’ll get your annual leave back.
Do not go in , get a sick note and you’ll get your annual leave back.
-
DM66
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Jul 2012, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
No I think he was implying that my holiday would end up being sick leave instead of annual leave if I don’t psychically go in to sign the form.
This makes no sense. I rang the Union and they agreed that it dosent have to be face to face. I just need to ring up on the day before my annual leave and say I’m fit for work again . I’ve been a postie 16 yrs and this has happened once before many moons ago. I think it’s a case of spite or something. I can see no other reason.
This makes no sense. I rang the Union and they agreed that it dosent have to be face to face. I just need to ring up on the day before my annual leave and say I’m fit for work again . I’ve been a postie 16 yrs and this has happened once before many moons ago. I think it’s a case of spite or something. I can see no other reason.
-
Dindin
- Posts: 491
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
Get a doctor note stuff the dim have another week off 
-
TopperGas
- Posts: 3526
- Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
If you've told your DOM the same then perhaps that why he's querying whether you'll be fit for work from Saturday?DM66 wrote: ↑11 Aug 2021, 19:07I’m off ill this week with a bladder infection. I’ve told my boss I won’t be back as I’m on a course of antibiotics and need to obviously rest. I am on annual leave from this Saturday and my boss has told me I must come in this Friday before my leave starts to fill in a return to work ( otherwise my annual leave will start to count as sick aswell) . I did ask if this could be done by email or done by phone but no apparently it HAS to be done face to face.
Obviously I’m in a lot of pain and wanted to know if this is legal. There must be allowances for this when your ill but can’t make it in.
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3226
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
It’s a well adopted tactic to check you haven’t went away on holiday
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
DM66
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Jul 2012, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
Yes what I thought.
-
DM66
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Jul 2012, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
If you've told your DOM the same then perhaps that why he's querying whether you'll be fit for work from Saturday?
[/quote]
Sorry don’t understand this reply.
He’s not querying if I’m fit for work on Saturday as that is where my annual leave starts. That’s why he’s asked me to come in Friday to end the sick leave before I begin my holiday. It’s a load of rubbish and I’m aware of that but just want to know my actual rights.
I get that he may suspect I’m not I’ll but he’s welcome to pop round and see I’m not and talk to my doctor about the tests .
[/quote]
Sorry don’t understand this reply.
He’s not querying if I’m fit for work on Saturday as that is where my annual leave starts. That’s why he’s asked me to come in Friday to end the sick leave before I begin my holiday. It’s a load of rubbish and I’m aware of that but just want to know my actual rights.
I get that he may suspect I’m not I’ll but he’s welcome to pop round and see I’m not and talk to my doctor about the tests .
-
Woody Guthrie
- Posts: 5166
- Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
It's your choice whether you're on annual leave or sick absence.
All you need to do is tell them.
Nothing to do with how fit you are to work or having a return to work meeting.
Explain to him slowly so he can understand that you can't have a return to work meeting until you... return to work.
All you need to do is tell them.
Nothing to do with how fit you are to work or having a return to work meeting.
Explain to him slowly so he can understand that you can't have a return to work meeting until you... return to work.
Only dead fish follow the current
-
DM66
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Jul 2012, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
Yes that’s what I said . His reply was if you don’t come in to do a return to work this Friday face to face then your sick will carry on into my annual leave in say ( making it sick not annual leave then which I do not want or need to do , even though I’m aware I can claim it back).
Honestly he’s a DOM and although he can occasionally be helpful , he’s a right pain when you’re trying to get well.
Honestly he’s a DOM and although he can occasionally be helpful , he’s a right pain when you’re trying to get well.
-
Zicomurphy
- Posts: 579
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 06:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
This is the actual wording from the agreement….
Following any period of absence, a welcome back meeting will be held between the employee and their manager.
The discussion should always take place during the employee’s first day back and where possible should be held within three hours of the start of their shift.
If you are still on sick leave on Friday and fit to return Saturday but on annual leave surely your first day back will be the first day you are due to attend after your holiday and the return to work should take place then.
Following any period of absence, a welcome back meeting will be held between the employee and their manager.
The discussion should always take place during the employee’s first day back and where possible should be held within three hours of the start of their shift.
If you are still on sick leave on Friday and fit to return Saturday but on annual leave surely your first day back will be the first day you are due to attend after your holiday and the return to work should take place then.
-
DM66
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Jul 2012, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
Thanks. Yes exactly.
-
sicknote25
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 26 Sep 2013, 22:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
I would also question what happens IF you are still unwell after your leave. Surely if you've already completed your return to work before your leave and then remain on sick leave after your leave then this would count as another period of absence?, better to make sure that you are fully fit before returning and completing the back to work process, if that means remaining sick whilst on annual leave then so be it.
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
Tell them you're still ill and can
Last edited by noggin1969 on 05 Feb 2024, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
-
TopperGas
- Posts: 3526
- Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Forced to come in to do Return to work form while
Sorry don’t understand this reply.
He’s not querying if I’m fit for work on Saturday as that is where my annual leave starts. That’s why he’s asked me to come in Friday to end the sick leave before I begin my holiday. It’s a load of rubbish and I’m aware of that but just want to know my actual rights.
I get that he may suspect I’m not I’ll but he’s welcome to pop round and see I’m not and talk to my doctor about the tests .
[/quote]
I sense you're missing the point, you sound to me not fit enough to return to work on Saturday so that's probably why your DOM wants to see you, to make sure you are fit and not using your annual leave to cover up your illness.