ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rotating rest day off changed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
2214MN
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 49
Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
Gender: Male

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by 2214MN »

Hi guys,

I’m currently on a rotating day off with my long weekend due next Saturday. I’ve seen the rota for next week having me down as day off Tuesday and working Saturday.

They’ve given me a few Saturdays off in the last few months for various reasons (wedding, sons birthday) so wondering whether that’s the reason.

Just wondering where I stand on this, surely they can’t just change my day off if I’ve picked that duty and the day off is set without authorising a change to that day?

Thanks
cardboard13
Posts: 14
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 19:38
Gender: Male

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by cardboard13 »

operational needs
hans solo
Posts: 3289
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by hans solo »

all depends if your 1 in 4 , 1 in 6 if it disrupts the pattern they need to make sure you still get the saturday off within timescales
Daveg50
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 19:48
Gender: Male

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by Daveg50 »

Thought they had to give you reasonable notice to change your rotating day off, they have been very sly about this. Why didn't they call you in and ask you if you would mind changing your day off next week as we are a bit stuck. Because they have just assumed you would do it I would tell them sorry got something planned on Saturday Cant Do.
2214MN
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 49
Joined: 03 Jun 2016, 16:53
Gender: Male

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by 2214MN »

Thanks for the replies.

I agree Dave, does seems sly to me. Haven’t mentioned anything yet because I wasn’t sure where I stood.

I asked nicely a few weeks back if I could swap my Thursday rest day for Saturday as it was my sons first birthday. Wasn’t a problem at the time but wonder whether they’ll use that against me when I bring next week up.

The lack of communication is what has annoyed me the most in this situation. Had actually planned to look after my son next Saturday so my partner could to a friends birthday.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by cpsteve »

Its your day off you have booked to go away they will have to cover it i have been moved to other duties but kept my rest day many times its never been a problem, being a reserve is a pain.
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by Route1 »

2214MN wrote: The lack of communication is what has annoyed me the most in this situation.
Lack of comms does my head in. If they ask when they are doing next weeks shift i'd accommodate them but not on the friday to work my saturday off.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32801
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Rotating rest day off changed

Post by POSTMAN »

If you're on a regular rotating day off duty they they can't change it willy nilly even for operational needs just like that.
Reps should be on the ball with this, I bet the reps day off doesn't change on a whim?
Just because you had the odd change for personal reasons means nothing.

Remember, as you're on a rotating day off duty you plan your life around those days off!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.