My manager has told me that my probation will be extended by 6 months because I have been off work on 2 occasions. I understand that this has triggered an "Attendance Review 1 Prompt (Triallist)" because that is the rules. But to extend my probation seems a bit harsh. I am quite quick on the walks, seem to be doing OK and getting on with people, enjoy the job and I have never been late into work once. Basically I had a few days off because I was bedridden with flu and a couple of months later 2 days off because I couldn't walk.
Both times were genuine, I phoned in, followed the correct procedure etc. I didn't want to be off as I don't get paid and I need the money. I am also fully aware that I am on probation. Timing was s**t to be honest but I can't help what happened. My toe was all bloody and pussy so I had no choice but to phone in sick and see the doctor. I have since had part of my toe nail removed and despite soreness have still hobbled into work everyday for fear of the sack.
My manager said he has had to extend my probation because of the attendance review 1 prompt but other people have said that he didn't need to do that and that he has chosen to extend my probation not been forced to.
What are the rules regarding whether or not probation has to be extended if you are off sick twice during your probation period?
Does this probation extension prevent me from the pay rise you get after 6 months?
And does it hinder me from getting a transfer to a delivery office nearer to where I live?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Probation Extension rules
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Probation Extension rules
This seems to be a common occurrence now. Happening with a lot of new starts, any excuse to extend probation. Personally know 3 people they've tried this with. Would be good if we could get some clarification from a union bod on this. Speaking to rep seems a waste of time, they have no idea either.
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Probation Extension rules
Ta mate, nice to know I am not alone, although sorry to hear that it is common occurrence. Did all 3 new starters at your place get their probation extended or did they kick up a fuss and get it quashed or did they leave?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72738
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Probation Extension rules
Extension of probation because you are on a stage is part of the process, you cant clear probation if you are on a stage. It happened to me 15 years agi.
Unfortunately, I can't remember if it delays the pay rises.
Unfortunately, I can't remember if it delays the pay rises.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Cloudwatcher
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 08 Aug 2019, 11:05
- Gender: Male
Probation Extension rules
Ok mate thanks for the advice. If I know that's the rules then at least I know where I stand. Fair enough. I suppose I will soon find out in my pay packet come January if my pay rise goes ahead........TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Extension of probation because you are on a stage is part of the process, you cant clear probation if you are on a stage. It happened to me 15 years agi.
Unfortunately, I can't remember if it delays the pay rises.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Probation Extension rules
Two have left unfortunately. The other one got his extended 3 months, hes waiting to see if it happens again. Pretty sure hes not on a stage. But could be wrong.Cloudwatcher wrote:Ta mate, nice to know I am not alone, although sorry to hear that it is common occurrence. Did all 3 new starters at your place get their probation extended or did they kick up a fuss and get it quashed or did they leave?