ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
I have an option to transfer from DO to the mail centre as a collection driver, the downside is id be dropping a 30hr contract to 20hrs which is not ideal really but I suppose overtime can be had there? Ive heard that there are eventually better opportunities to progress once you get a foot in the door at the mail centres. Can anyone give any advise in this? Ive been told collections is a lot better than being in delivery but the hours are poor (3pm til 7pm)? Do I stay put or give it a chance?
-
Smith1212
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 12 Jul 2018, 13:02
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
That’s a lot of hours dropped maybe wait for a better contact to come up
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
I moved from delivery to a collection driver for me it was the best move but u have to way up what’s best 4 u. u will not be so tired, u will work the hours u are paid, I normally do my collection route in the allotted time 4 hours a day, if it’s the same as me there’s no Saturday work. The only negatives are for u, u are losing 10 hours a week, that’s about £70.00, there is overtime but it’s not guaranteed, also u will probably be a spare learning different routes, this time of year u are driving in rush hour traffic at night which is completely different than driving in the daytime. you will also lose your delivery weekly bonus, replaced with a collection bonus which is less.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
collections could possibly end up being done by the D.O.s anyway, and collections might go.postiewhite wrote:I have an option to transfer from DO to the mail centre as a collection driver, the downside is id be dropping a 30hr contract to 20hrs which is not ideal really but I suppose overtime can be had there? Ive heard that there are eventually better opportunities to progress once you get a foot in the door at the mail centres. Can anyone give any advise in this? Ive been told collections is a lot better than being in delivery but the hours are poor (3pm til 7pm)? Do I stay put or give it a chance?
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
Ill have to speak to them about overtime as i cannot live off 20hrs alone. What im trying to do is get a foot in the door in the mail centre as there may be more opportunites to progress and more internal jobs advertised, maybe more chance of getting into 7.5 tonne. I suppose im trying to ease the stress on my body as I get older as delivery is probably one of the worse roles to have an impact on your body, plus the harsh winters etc. How is the stress levels compared to delivery Woody?woody38 wrote:I moved from delivery to a collection driver for me it was the best move but u have to way up what’s best 4 u. u will not be so tired, u will work the hours u are paid, I normally do my collection route in the allotted time 4 hours a day, if it’s the same as me there’s no Saturday work. The only negatives are for u, u are losing 10 hours a week, that’s about £70.00, there is overtime but it’s not guaranteed, also u will probably be a spare learning different routes, this time of year u are driving in rush hour traffic at night which is completely different than driving in the daytime. you will also lose your delivery weekly bonus, replaced with a collection bonus which is less.
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
daveyeff wrote:collections could possibly end up being done by the D.O.s anyway, and collections might go.postiewhite wrote:I have an option to transfer from DO to the mail centre as a collection driver, the downside is id be dropping a 30hr contract to 20hrs which is not ideal really but I suppose overtime can be had there? Ive heard that there are eventually better opportunities to progress once you get a foot in the door at the mail centres. Can anyone give any advise in this? Ive been told collections is a lot better than being in delivery but the hours are poor (3pm til 7pm)? Do I stay put or give it a chance?
This.^^^^^^
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
I'd agree with that, pure collection duties look very vulnerable to me.leolion855 wrote:daveyeff wrote: collections could possibly end up being done by the D.O.s anyway, and collections might go.
This.^^^^^^
-
woody38
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
No stress not even noticed Christmas yetpostiewhite wrote:Ill have to speak to them about overtime as i cannot live off 20hrs alone. What im trying to do is get a foot in the door in the mail centre as there may be more opportunites to progress and more internal jobs advertised, maybe more chance of getting into 7.5 tonne. I suppose im trying to ease the stress on my body as I get older as delivery is probably one of the worse roles to have an impact on your body, plus the harsh winters etc. How is the stress levels compared to delivery Woody?woody38 wrote:I moved from delivery to a collection driver for me it was the best move but u have to way up what’s best 4 u. u will not be so tired, u will work the hours u are paid, I normally do my collection route in the allotted time 4 hours a day, if it’s the same as me there’s no Saturday work. The only negatives are for u, u are losing 10 hours a week, that’s about £70.00, there is overtime but it’s not guaranteed, also u will probably be a spare learning different routes, this time of year u are driving in rush hour traffic at night which is completely different than driving in the daytime. you will also lose your delivery weekly bonus, replaced with a collection bonus which is less.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
Foot in the door no longer exsists all vacancys now our on success factors site and our all done fairly 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
Grumpyoldmailman
- Posts: 810
- Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
Buy some bigger clothes for all the weight u will put on.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
cant you do collections in your office in the afternoon ?postiewhite wrote:I have an option to transfer from DO to the mail centre as a collection driver, the downside is id be dropping a 30hr contract to 20hrs which is not ideal really but I suppose overtime can be had there? Ive heard that there are eventually better opportunities to progress once you get a foot in the door at the mail centres. Can anyone give any advise in this? Ive been told collections is a lot better than being in delivery but the hours are poor (3pm til 7pm)? Do I stay put or give it a chance?
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Buy some bigger clothes for all the weight u will put on.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
I'd definitely prefer to drive round doing collections than be walking for 10 miles a day. I am sure most would feel the same. There are the Posties who currently have been moved to parcel deliveries over Xmas, and I'm jealous of them. Although still jumping in and out their vans, they get 4 weeks of far less knackering work.
Not being knackered and achy is priceless in the short term and the long term.
Problem with the collection job is the hours. I'd rather not be out in rush hour and I'd rather start earlier and finish earlier. And as guys above say these jobs may be vulnerable that is another downer.
Are there any RM driving jobs out there that are within the hours of 6am to 5pm where you go out in a van? That's the job I want!
Not being knackered and achy is priceless in the short term and the long term.
Problem with the collection job is the hours. I'd rather not be out in rush hour and I'd rather start earlier and finish earlier. And as guys above say these jobs may be vulnerable that is another downer.
Are there any RM driving jobs out there that are within the hours of 6am to 5pm where you go out in a van? That's the job I want!
-
priority102
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 520
- Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 18:57
- Gender: Female
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
At this vulnerable time it may be best to take the view "better the devil you know". As we all know, every nook and cranny is being looked at to save money, and if the company can pay a part timer pro rata 4 hours o/t to do a collection from a DO with a van that is sitting there not being used after delivery, that is a darn sight cheaper than paying you a contract with holidays/sick etc. Tiring as it is, currently the mail has to be delivered to abide by the USO and perhaps that's the safest option......as it is now.....is to stay put. I have thought about other positions myself but I then think about my situation and just think at this uncertain point in the company is to stick with what you know.
-
ihatedogs
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 547
- Joined: 03 Nov 2010, 18:53
- Gender: Male
Thoughts on becoming a collection driver.
Not strictly true, our professional driver vacancies are always advertised internally and trickle down the line, I.E. current Pro drivers > collection drivers > delivery staff > external applicants.maisymoo04 wrote:Foot in the door no longer exsists all vacancys now our on success factors site and our all done fairly