ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
leolion855
Posts: 641
Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by leolion855 »

This is driving me NUTS!!!!!

Im having a spate of people walking dogs down the street without a lead!, I try to explain to them it could be classed as a out of control dog and so illegal and that no matter how well behaved the dog normally is when they see a postie we can get chased down a street and ive had to defend myself numerous times, but the owners dont give a sh!t and try to argue the legalities of it.

Im trying to get the CWU to lobby to make walking a dog without a lead in a public place illegal.

Anyone else got this issue?
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by Tinoblade »

leolion855 wrote:This is driving me NUTS!!!!!

Im having a spate of people walking dogs down the street without a lead!, I try to explain to them it could be classed as a out of control dog and so illegal and that no matter how well behaved the dog normally is when they see a postie we can get chased down a street and ive had to defend myself numerous times, but the owners dont give a sh!t and try to argue the legalities of it.

Im trying to get the CWU to lobby to make walking a dog without a lead in a public place illegal.

Anyone else got this issue?
Completely agree, I love dogs and have my own who is a dream. Could walk off the lead no issues. But wouldn't dream of doing it in a public space. Dogs are unpredictable and the smallest thing can trigger a previously unknown behaviour.
I think it's a more than fair thing to expect
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by twoloops »

I don’t get why people have dogs, what’s the point? I don’t want to fuss or stroke your dirty dog, when they say “it’s alright he don’t bite might lick you to death” I did say to one persistent customer that alway brought her snarlingly mutt to the door with her, if he did nip me I would insist the dogs is put down, she now locks it in the kitchen. :wave
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by ted_e_bear »

If it's any use to anyone have a read of this
https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scoobydo79
Posts: 2057
Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by scoobydo79 »

Film the loose dog and the owner on Your phone then have a polite chat.You will be surprised how cooperative they will then be.Dog bites in our office have gone sky high lately
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by Tinoblade »

twoloops wrote:I don’t get why people have dogs, what’s the point? I don’t want to fuss or stroke your dirty dog, when they say “it’s alright he don’t bite might lick you to death” I did say to one persistent customer that alway brought her snarlingly mutt to the door with her, if he did nip me I would insist the dogs is put down, she now locks it in the kitchen. :wave
I opted for a dog rather than children. I hope that's OK with you
grchpo
Posts: 488
Joined: 16 Mar 2019, 13:59
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by grchpo »

Can you have a child put down if it bites you.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Tinoblade wrote:
twoloops wrote:I don’t get why people have dogs, what’s the point? I don’t want to fuss or stroke your dirty dog, when they say “it’s alright he don’t bite might lick you to death” I did say to one persistent customer that alway brought her snarlingly mutt to the door with her, if he did nip me I would insist the dogs is put down, she now locks it in the kitchen. :wave
I opted for a dog rather than children. I hope that's OK with you



I hope you keep them on a lead in public places TB? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by Dorset Plodder »

grchpo wrote:Can you have a child put down if it bites you.
That is one of the major advantages of Dogs over Children. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by Dindin »

Nasty dogs growling are really frightening and can cause trauma . Inform the dog warden or call bill if it bites 999 if you don't know the dogs owners
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by Tinoblade »

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Tinoblade wrote:
twoloops wrote:I don’t get why people have dogs, what’s the point? I don’t want to fuss or stroke your dirty dog, when they say “it’s alright he don’t bite might lick you to death” I did say to one persistent customer that alway brought her snarlingly mutt to the door with her, if he did nip me I would insist the dogs is put down, she now locks it in the kitchen. :wave
I opted for a dog rather than children. I hope that's OK with you



I hope you keep them on a lead in public places TB? :cuppa
Never let her off. You never know
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

Turkeys should be on leashes too. :mad

grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by grandypants »

I have one guy who thinks it funny when walking his dog off a lead the s**t goes for me, didn't think it was funny when I kicked the little s**t, now when he sees me he puts the dog on a lead, job done
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by joewyan »

Dindin wrote:Nasty dogs growling are really frightening and can cause trauma . Inform the dog warden or call bill if it bites 999 if you don't know the dogs owners
Who is Bill? Lol
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Dogs WITHOUT leads

Post by twoloops »

We have posties in our office that actually buy & carry treats for dogs on their walk :arrrghhh