ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Uniform tax code help

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Charliechocx
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Apr 2019, 00:24
Gender: Female

Uniform tax code help

Post by Charliechocx »

Hi,

So I have seen in another chat that we should get £120 for the uniform cleaning added to our tax code. However, can someone tell me how it is £120 as I spoke to tax office today and they have only applied a fixed flat rate of £60 onto mine.

Thanks
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Uniform tax code help

Post by arnold cheshire »

If you don't earn enough to pay tax how can you benefit from it?
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1374
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
Gender: Male

Uniform tax code help

Post by rogersh »

Charliechocx wrote:Hi,

So I have seen in another chat that we should get £120 for the uniform cleaning added to our tax code. However, can someone tell me how it is £120 as I spoke to tax office today and they have only applied a fixed flat rate of £60 onto mine.

Thanks
I can only confirm that since I commenced employment with RM -tax year 2013-14- my PAYE Coding Notice automatically included Flat rate job expenses +£120.

This amount is explained Note 2. Flat Rate Job Expenses - This is the tax relief for expenses associated with your employment for things like tools and specialist clothing.

I would call again & ask them to explain why you have been applied with half the standard amount.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Uniform tax code help

Post by yellowbelly »

rogersh wrote:
Charliechocx wrote:Hi,

So I have seen in another chat that we should get £120 for the uniform cleaning added to our tax code. However, can someone tell me how it is £120 as I spoke to tax office today and they have only applied a fixed flat rate of £60 onto mine.

Thanks
I can only confirm that since I commenced employment with RM -tax year 2013-14- my PAYE Coding Notice automatically included Flat rate job expenses +£120.

This amount is explained Note 2. Flat Rate Job Expenses - This is the tax relief for expenses associated with your employment for things like tools and specialist clothing.

I would call again & ask them to explain why you have been applied with half the standard amount.
My rate is 120 too, but looking on the Govt. website the 'Standard' amount is £60 allowance, so I don't know why some are 120 and then the OP has been told 60.
The table for specific occupations is on the Govt. website here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/job-expense ... laim-table" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but
RM/Postal staff are not specifically listed.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1374
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
Gender: Male

Uniform tax code help

Post by rogersh »

The notes on Coding notice for 2013-14 states;
[3.We agree that £120 is the amount of tax relief you are due for the expense that you are likely to have to pay out when you are doing your job. You will get tax relief for this amount at the highest rate of tax you pay. For example this could include laundry costs of uniforms or protective clothing.]

I was not aware The standard flat-rate expense allowance for uniform maintenance is £60 (2019/20) - I do not know why i (& others) are given double that amount.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Uniform tax code help

Post by arnold cheshire »

Thanks Everyone for the help
Charliechocx
Posts: 4
Joined: 07 Apr 2019, 00:24
Gender: Female

Uniform tax code help

Post by Charliechocx »

Thank you for your responses.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Uniform tax code help

Post by arnold cheshire »

So how does this help low paid workers?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Uniform tax code help

Post by yellowbelly »

arnold cheshire wrote:So how does this help low paid workers?
arnold cheshire wrote:If you don't earn enough to pay tax how can you benefit from it?
Answered your own question - you wouldn't. Appears to be unfair I know, however, (and I'm not an expert on tax credits)
but I would imagine someone who earns less than the personal tax allowance is eligible for tax credits - whereas
the person who gets the uniform tax rebate of 12 quid possibly isn't. Some might be eligible for both?

CEO's of big companies who make a loss on their investments can offset the loss against other gains (no names
mentioned here) - I think we can agree that the tax system in this country has issues........
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Uniform tax code help

Post by arnold cheshire »

yellowbelly wrote:
arnold cheshire wrote:So how does this help low paid workers?
arnold cheshire wrote:If you don't earn enough to pay tax how can you benefit from it?
Answered your own question - you wouldn't. Appears to be unfair I know, however, (and I'm not an expert on tax credits)
but I would imagine someone who earns less than the personal tax allowance is eligible for tax credits - whereas
the person who gets the uniform tax rebate of 12 quid possibly isn't. Some might be eligible for both?

CEO's of big companies who make a loss on their investments can offset the loss against other gains (no names
mentioned here) - I think we can agree that the tax system in this country has issues........
Thanks yellow belly I'm not sure about a single person paying full council tax and £400 rent Doing average 30 hrs a week getting universal credit