ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Lost special
-
Oxygenpro
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
- Gender: Male
Lost special
Advise please,
So yesterday I was on a van share and we had 12 specials, of which 2 were towards the end of the round so we decided to get them out the way and not have to worry about them. Mine wasn't in so I carded it and my colleague asked me to put it in a tray in the back of the van. Fast forward to this morning and my manager asks me what I know about it, I explain that I put it in the back of the van at 10am and after that I have no access to the van until halfway round the round where we local collect stuff to the post office in the village, but as I am there after my colleague he has already taken all the notice lefts inside. It turns out the only scan on the item is me at the door so it has been lost between me putting it in the van (my colleague saw me put it there and is freely admitting so) and him getting to the post office half way round.
My question is really what is the procedure for this? As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm expecting a call on my day off as the customer has complained and it was foreign currency.
So yesterday I was on a van share and we had 12 specials, of which 2 were towards the end of the round so we decided to get them out the way and not have to worry about them. Mine wasn't in so I carded it and my colleague asked me to put it in a tray in the back of the van. Fast forward to this morning and my manager asks me what I know about it, I explain that I put it in the back of the van at 10am and after that I have no access to the van until halfway round the round where we local collect stuff to the post office in the village, but as I am there after my colleague he has already taken all the notice lefts inside. It turns out the only scan on the item is me at the door so it has been lost between me putting it in the van (my colleague saw me put it there and is freely admitting so) and him getting to the post office half way round.
My question is really what is the procedure for this? As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm expecting a call on my day off as the customer has complained and it was foreign currency.
-
leolion855
- Posts: 641
- Joined: 11 Jun 2018, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Lost special
Can you check at the local collect place?
-
Oxygenpro
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
- Gender: Male
Lost special
They've already checked. Nothing was scanned there and they've gone through everything to see if 2 were stook together or something.
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Lost special
Might be in a tray/bag. They usually always turn up
-
Oxygenpro
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
- Gender: Male
Lost special
Just wondered what happens if it doesn't show up. It's the other guys duty, I was just covering for the walker as he's off sick. He's emptied his van/bags and nothing there.
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
Lost special
You sure it wasn't between two trays put inside one another? Usually it'll turn up, ended up in a collection bag or something etc.
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Lost special
I’m thinking it will turn up.They usually do.At the Sub? Gone into the collection? In a cassette?
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Lost special
Any sign of it yet?
-
Oxygenpro
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
- Gender: Male
Lost special
Nope, all I can think is it's been dropped or something. Van/bags were checked top to bottom. There was only one tray in the van and it was the one containing all the specials. Post office have checked everywhere and we know the only scan was when I scanned it as no answer on the door step.
What's annoying me is the grief I'm gonna get for it when I know 100% my only contact with it was to put it back in the tray.
What's annoying me is the grief I'm gonna get for it when I know 100% my only contact with it was to put it back in the tray.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3728
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Lost special
If your colleague agrees with what you've said above (which I've highlighted) and is willing to say so, how can you bear any responsibility for it's current whereabouts?Oxygenpro wrote:Advise please,
So yesterday I was on a van share and we had 12 specials, of which 2 were towards the end of the round so we decided to get them out the way and not have to worry about them. Mine wasn't in so I carded it and my colleague asked me to put it in a tray in the back of the van. Fast forward to this morning and my manager asks me what I know about it, I explain that I put it in the back of the van at 10am and after that I have no access to the van until halfway round the round where we local collect stuff to the post office in the village, but as I am there after my colleague he has already taken all the notice lefts inside. It turns out the only scan on the item is me at the door so it has been lost between me putting it in the van (my colleague saw me put it there and is freely admitting so) and him getting to the post office half way round.
My question is really what is the procedure for this? As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm expecting a call on my day off as the customer has complained and it was foreign currency.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Lost special
You handed it in ? If so it's been stolen not your responsibility to watch it in the locker
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Lost special
We used to have a book for writing in the addresses of special delivery items that we handed back in and they would stamp it to say that they have received it. Its easy how things can go missing so its always best to cover your back as best as possible. In our office the responsibility of the Specials lies with the driver who signs for them and its small wonder that many posties who work for Royal Mail don't like being the nominated driver.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Lost special
To me its a lack of proper procedure for handover of specials at the PO that should get you off the hook for any wrongdoing. if there is no process in place to sign over the specials at the desk when handing them over, then its impossible for anyone to say where the blame lies. Your partner could have handed it in and it was lost at the PO for all anyone could actually know.
This is not to say RM wont try to conduct you for this, they likely will if it hasnt turned up.
This is not to say RM wont try to conduct you for this, they likely will if it hasnt turned up.
-
norris9
- Posts: 2696
- Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
- Gender: Female
Lost special
Who decides who is the 'nominated driver'? and is it fairly swopped about?postslippete wrote:We used to have a book for writing in the addresses of special delivery items that we handed back in and they would stamp it to say that they have received it. Its easy how things can go missing so its always best to cover your back as best as possible. In our office the responsibility of the Specials lies with the driver who signs for them and its small wonder that many posties who work for Royal Mail don't like being the nominated driver.
I have people at my depot who refuse to drive....is this allowed?
-
Oxygenpro
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 12 May 2018, 23:04
- Gender: Male
Lost special
yellowbelly wrote:If your colleague agrees with what you've said above (which I've highlighted) and is willing to say so, how can you bear any responsibility for it's current whereabouts?Oxygenpro wrote:Advise please,
So yesterday I was on a van share and we had 12 specials, of which 2 were towards the end of the round so we decided to get them out the way and not have to worry about them. Mine wasn't in so I carded it and my colleague asked me to put it in a tray in the back of the van. Fast forward to this morning and my manager asks me what I know about it, I explain that I put it in the back of the van at 10am and after that I have no access to the van until halfway round the round where we local collect stuff to the post office in the village, but as I am there after my colleague he has already taken all the notice lefts inside. It turns out the only scan on the item is me at the door so it has been lost between me putting it in the van (my colleague saw me put it there and is freely admitting so) and him getting to the post office half way round.
My question is really what is the procedure for this? As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't have done anything different. I'm expecting a call on my day off as the customer has complained and it was foreign currency.
That is my thinking. The facts are that 1. I've scanned at doorstep 2. Driver has seen me put back in van after leaving notice with customer 3. I then have no access to the back of the van. To me a logical manager would see that I can't be blamed once I hand it to driver.