ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Transfer to a different DO before start date

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dreamflyer
Posts: 8
Joined: 08 Mar 2019, 23:56
Gender: Male

Transfer to a different DO before start date

Post by dreamflyer »

Hi all,

I recently accepted a job offer for postman with driving at a delivery office, which takes 40 minutes driving to get to from where I live. My welcome day is soon. The problem I have is that the same position has recently come up at a delivery office which is far closer to me. I would ideally prefer to work at this delivery office as it is much closer to me. However, I'm not sure if I can- I was hired to work for the delivery office I interviewed at and the delivery office I do want to work at may not want me. Does anyone know if I can ask to transfer immediately or do I have to wait a certain amount of time?

Thanks.
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Transfer to a different DO before start date

Post by Tomolo208 »

We've had new starters in the past who have transferred to our office on their first day.

Go and speak to the manager at the office you want to transfer to asap
Daveyj15
Posts: 30
Joined: 14 May 2018, 19:24
Gender: Male

Transfer to a different DO before start date

Post by Daveyj15 »

I tried to do similar and HR said it wasn’t possible. However, after 6 months you are able to apply internally for any vacancies that come up, and you will be given priority over external candidates. After 8 months I have just been able to do that. So worst case you will need to work at the DO you applied for 6 months plus however long it is after that the DO you want to move to advertises again.
You may also be able to do it via your manager but my experience was that my manager had no interest in letting me transfer.