ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Consolidation barcode
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
What drop down reason do people use when they return to the office and have mail collected that has missed the final dispatch lorry? We’ve been told to put insufficient time,to which I ignore and put opps failure ( I consider it to be an operational failure on management not to adjust the final dispatch time accordingly following the revision some time ago,seems trivial I know,but in the bigger picture as I scan the boxes on a Saturday during delivery,Mail I collect goes nowhere,sometimes even mail and specials miss it as well.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
The time of the final dispatch lorry probably can't be changed otherwise it probably fail all the mail on that lorry as it wouldn't arrive at the MC in time to be processedrobbertwhitton wrote:What drop down reason do people use when they return to the office and have mail collected that has missed the final dispatch lorry? We’ve been told to put insufficient time,to which I ignore and put opps failure ( I consider it to be an operational failure on management not to adjust the final dispatch time accordingly following the revision some time ago,seems trivial I know,but in the bigger picture as I scan the boxes on a Saturday during delivery,Mail I collect goes nowhere,sometimes even mail and specials miss it as well.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
The rounds that regularly get back late on a Saturday and miss the final lorry have had their consolation scan removed from the list on the pda! Are they trying to hide something I wonder...
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
As I understand it the new consolidation barcode is to confirm that all the applicable postboxes for the day on your walk have been emptied, the tab has been changed, and the barcode inside the barcode has been read by the PDA. It doesn't actually give proof that the mail collected that day has been taken to the MC or next destination office in the chain.robbertwhitton wrote:What drop down reason do people use when they return to the office and have mail collected that has missed the final dispatch lorry? We’ve been told to put insufficient time,to which I ignore and put opps failure ( I consider it to be an operational failure on management not to adjust the final dispatch time accordingly following the revision some time ago,seems trivial I know,but in the bigger picture as I scan the boxes on a Saturday during delivery,Mail I collect goes nowhere,sometimes even mail and specials miss it as well.
In our DO for weekdays, except when classed as a Saturday collection, the mail is collected from postboxes and returned to the DO. The collection lorry arrives by 1230 at the latest on weekdays which obviously means we are not back from our walks so the mail collected goes off with the evening collections. Likewise on Saturdays we don't all get back in time for the collection run and there isn't duty time to bring the collected mail back earlier. Our DO in general, and specifically my walk, is known to be targeted by RM with RFID chips and other 'systems' to check collections & delivery are completed daily. Therefore either our DOM or PHG, who both live near the MC, drop any remaining collected mail off at the MC on Saturdays so we don't get caught out.
I hadn't heard about the drop down option you mentioned before. I agree it is down to RM and how they plan methods of delivery and collection of mail that obviously cannot work as they want all paid hours to be worked but the job usually takes longer to complete. It's not your fault if the tasks cannot be fully completed.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Consolidation barcode
In our do the Saturday collections are still done by distribution in order to connect with the mc run 
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
The problem is, in terms of our DO and maybe many more, the end of delivery or duty time does not line up with when mail is collected either by the lorry, or on Saturday our 'firms' walk. So then the suggestion is made to break off from delivering, maybe deviate from your route to empty the remaining postboxes, then either drive back to the DO before the collection goes or drive to an intermediate postbox to enable pickup by someone else from the DO I explain that I cannot do it. On my walk this could add another 20 to 30 minutes of work which I don't have to spare within my duty time and I'm likely going over anyway. In short what RM wants to be completed cannot be done within the time we have.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
2Shedz
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 28 Dec 2017, 08:45
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
Our manager confirmed that half the reason for the consolidation scan is to see what time you are finishing
Another Royal Mail spying trick!
Another Royal Mail spying trick!
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
He is probably correct as I think the union is questioning how the AHDC will operate in particular the automated element of it and which information it records. Posties are often not writing the correct times on signing in & out sheets so this new barcode tells them more accurately when we are returning from delivery.2Shedz wrote:Our manager confirmed that half the reason for the consolidation scan is to see what time you are finishing
Another Royal Mail spying trick!
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Consolidation barcode
Well on that note I don’t sign in anymore,I used to do it exactly right,start time,time out time back finish time,time back corresponding with the consolidation barcode seeing how late I finished,challenged the boss,he wasn’t interested in paying overtime cos I finished early the day before,blah blah yes that old chestnut,so when he actually looks at the sheet,then I may use it it’s all a bit archaic to be fair swamped with tick box exercises that don’t get done,the office is awash with notices and performance figures that are probably corrupt and meaninglessCelgar wrote:He is probably correct as I think the union is questioning how the AHDC will operate in particular the automated element of it and which information it records. Posties are often not writing the correct times on signing in & out sheets so this new barcode tells them more accurately when we are returning from delivery.2Shedz wrote:Our manager confirmed that half the reason for the consolidation scan is to see what time you are finishing
Another Royal Mail spying trick!