Hi all. Just been offered to be permanent on a choice of 2 rounds, one of which I’ve been training on for 3 months so I know well, or another I don’t know at all but is literally around the corner.
The downside is they can both be light in the summer and so I would be lapsing for about 3 months but it could be on any round so I wouldn’t have a clue what I would be doing each day which is a downside.
A change would be good from my current round however.
Or do I be a floater covering my current round that I know, a couple of really good ones I’ve veen told and 1 I don’t know including 1 Day in the enquiry office? All within walking distance of the depot as far as I know.
I like variety but I also like to know what I’m doing and make sure I finish in time. So making a decision isn’t easy! I can be a bit of a worrier so I don’t know what is best for me.
I’m planning on asking to drop 1 day a week after my probation has finished in a few months so I’m guessing if I was a floater, it would be hard for them to sort that out but if I was on 1 round it would be easier for them to give me that?
I don’t really know how it all works but any advice anyone can give me or pass on their experience or how it all works, I would be most grateful.
Thanks!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do I stay on 1 duty or float?
-
paul1231
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Do I stay on 1 duty or float?
Cant say how your office works but i was in same position as you, I singed for a round that no one really wanted and it gets lapsed out in summer as well. I tend to work with some one on both duties from November till end of January then do my round on my own round February till about May which is quite nice.
Its a question of what you prefer i mainly did it so i knew my day off and got a saturday 1 in 4 weeks as i always seemed to get monday and tuesdays and just an odd friday and saturday so prefer it this way as can plan stuff or swap the odd day if needed! I spend 4 or 5 months in the summer moving round duties and can be a bit of pot luck which round your put on and can change every day but quite enjoy the break from same round every day to be honest and still get to keep the day off of my assigned round so its just what works best for you!
Its a question of what you prefer i mainly did it so i knew my day off and got a saturday 1 in 4 weeks as i always seemed to get monday and tuesdays and just an odd friday and saturday so prefer it this way as can plan stuff or swap the odd day if needed! I spend 4 or 5 months in the summer moving round duties and can be a bit of pot luck which round your put on and can change every day but quite enjoy the break from same round every day to be honest and still get to keep the day off of my assigned round so its just what works best for you!
-
azza30
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:48
- Gender: Male
- Location: Eternal Misery
Do I stay on 1 duty or float?
Decisions Decisions and whilst in probation.... I must work for a different organisation that goes by the same name... Nae danger of being offered anything permanently here, let alone a choice and we were lapsing well into November! No chance of being given that day off, they just get newbies to work for free here!
-
miles_peters
- Posts: 298
- Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
- Gender: Male
-
jd9442
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
- Gender: Male
Do I stay on 1 duty or float?
‘I also like to make sure I finish on time’
Doesn’t matter what duty you’re on to do that
Doesn’t matter what duty you’re on to do that
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Do I stay on 1 duty or float?
That's an incredible opportunity for someone who has, just finished probation!!! WTF
-
Navalron
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1044
- Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
- Gender: Male
- Location: Glasgow
Do I stay on 1 duty or float?
Passing should only be takin it you have time... WTF, it seems that it's another point the UNION negotiate over but still gets takin out when it should be rocket and you wonder why the job is going downhill. 
-
Wakewaterblue
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 07:11
- Gender: Female
Do I stay on 1 duty or float?
I don’t know what is going on but I gave the walk number I had chosen as my depot manager asked me to do and then she said it had changed and I was low on the list. Which makes sense due to seniority taking priority. However I have no clue what is going on now. I guess I just need to take whatever comes my way but there was a lot of tension and arguing today at the depot as everyone tried to get what they prefered. I didn’t know this happened each year I thought it just changed about when someone requested.