ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
High vis- offcial rules
-
postmanzach
- Posts: 515
- Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 15:01
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
So sun came out today and actually got hot, wasn’t expecting that!
Had my jacket on and no high vis vest, took my jacket off as, as hat t shirt on under my shirt, left it in van as I did a loop. A fellow postie saw me and said ‘oi where’s your high vis at?”
Sure I read it’s only necessary when driving or working in the year or in poor vis ability.
Anyone know where can find the offical rules?
Had my jacket on and no high vis vest, took my jacket off as, as hat t shirt on under my shirt, left it in van as I did a loop. A fellow postie saw me and said ‘oi where’s your high vis at?”
Sure I read it’s only necessary when driving or working in the year or in poor vis ability.
Anyone know where can find the offical rules?
-
jd9442
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
Never seen a postie wearing a high vis on delivery yet
-
hothothot
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 422
- Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
Hi Vis can be handy to wipe your backside on in an Emergency.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
If working on a busy street you needed to cross on occasion why WOULDN'T you want to be wearing one ?

-
kookoo32
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: scotland
High vis- offcial rules
I always wait until the traffic has cleared before crossing the road. I find that helps better than a hi viz vest. And I say that as someone who has to cross a road where the speed limit is 60mph.Decky Boy wrote:If working on a busy street you needed to cross on occasion why WOULDN'T you want to be wearing one ?![]()
![]()
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
High vis- offcial rules
Only required in our yard not on delivery
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
I agree with the comments of kookoo32 I too tend to wait for the traffic to abate before crossing busy roads. A high viz vest gives ( in my opinion) an extra layer of safety ... especially on dark days where lighting is poor. And we all know that everyone driving doesn't have 20/20 vision... and many seem more attached to their mobile phones than watching the road. I'll continue wearing mine !
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
Yep am sure it’s just for the yard,but I guess if you feel the need to wear it on delivery then why not,not in the mid day sun,I dare say it’s another rule that doesn’t get enforced,our safety is top of there list blah blah blah,ask the boss manager work place coach
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
Possibly would be of benefit to wear one during the last hour of delivery soon..........being as it will be pitch black. Lol
-
apple
- Posts: 496
- Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pluto
High vis- offcial rules
heard so many versions of when we should be wearing it, I just wear it all the time, just in case, as I wouldn't trust a manager to know the facts or truth if it bit them on the arse
-
bmccoll
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
If you have to cross roads while on delivery then wear it. If you are hit by a car... well you know how insurance companies work...
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
What annoys me is that most of them are old and not shiny or reflective at all but it’s still considered ok to wear them.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
Mine has been washed so many times it could hardly be considered a high vis anyway, the reflective silver has all fell off. You do only have to wear it in the yard, no need out on delivery.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
I'd be putting in a uniform request to my line manager. We've a long dark (and heavy !) Winter and Christmas Pressure period ahead of us. Many duty holders will be out on the street till well after 4pm as we approach Christmas. Best to be illuminated as darkness comes early in December ?Creditshampoo wrote:What annoys me is that most of them are old and not shiny or reflective at all but it’s still considered ok to wear them.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
High vis- offcial rules
Best advice is to stop delivering once it reaches 1600 and return any remaining mail to the DO for delivery the following day. Those were the orders of our DOM last Xmas.Decky Boy wrote:I'd be putting in a uniform request to my line manager. We've a long dark (and heavy !) Winter and Christmas Pressure period ahead of us. Many duty holders will be out on the street till well after 4pm as we approach Christmas. Best to be illuminated as darkness comes early in December ?Creditshampoo wrote:What annoys me is that most of them are old and not shiny or reflective at all but it’s still considered ok to wear them.
Regarding hi vis the letters page in the current edition of the Courier has the official answer. The hi vis jacket officially only has to be worn in the yard when you are loading up or on delivery if a risk assessment has been completed and it has been deemed one must be worn. I tend to wear the hi vis if it's really cold as another layer of clothing but not otherwise.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.