ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

IHR question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by Pidleypoo »

If I’ve taken IHR but then recover enough to do another job that’s less strenuous on my body, will Royal Mail include why I left on my reference?

My point is that if I’m applying for another job that I can do , is why I left my previous job relevant?

Thanks for any help

I haven’t left rm yet but I’m seriously considering it and I’m not all that old so I wil have to get another job at some point.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by rehabron »

Pidleypoo wrote:If I’ve taken IHR but then recover enough to do another job that’s less strenuous on my body, will Royal Mail include why I left on my reference?

My point is that if I’m applying for another job that I can do , is why I left my previous job relevant?

Thanks for any help

I haven’t left rm yet but I’m seriously considering it and I’m not all that old so I wil have to get another job at some point.
If you are given IHR it will only be after the business has explored all types of work that RM may require of you and if unable to find you a position including redeployment you may be a candidate for IHR. You will need to provide specialist and/or OH reports to support your application and that your medical condition makes it virtually impossible for you to continue in RM employment.
You have not mentioned if you are presently on long term sick leave and have been referred to OH Assist which would be a starting point.
You have also mentioned if you recover you will still be unable to perform RM duties that will be a decision taken by the relevant manager before endorsing IHR.
If given IHR that would not stop you for applying for a change of employment which may be more suitable and RM do not give references to other employers unless absoutly necessary and not sure if the latest law on data protection on disclosure would be breached.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1044
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 10:40
Gender: Male
Location: Glasgow

IHR question

Post by Navalron »

They don't give a job reference but they do confirm how long you were in the job, the scope of the job and also it states ,left on on reconisence of gross misconduct although their not allowed to bad mouth you. But that's from central HR and you can get a personal reference from your last manager. They don't have to do it though. :thumbup
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by Creditshampoo »

How about if they offer you shifts in a mail centre 50 miles away
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by Pidleypoo »

rehabron wrote:
Pidleypoo wrote:If I’ve taken IHR but then recover enough to do another job that’s less strenuous on my body, will Royal Mail include why I left on my reference?

My point is that if I’m applying for another job that I can do , is why I left my previous job relevant?

Thanks for any help

I haven’t left rm yet but I’m seriously considering it and I’m not all that old so I wil have to get another job at some point.
If you are given IHR it will only be after the business has explored all types of work that RM may require of you and if unable to find you a position including redeployment you may be a candidate for IHR. You will need to provide specialist and/or OH reports to support your application and that your medical condition makes it virtually impossible for you to continue in RM employment.
You have not mentioned if you are presently on long term sick leave and have been referred to OH Assist which would be a starting point.
You have also mentioned if you recover you will still be unable to perform RM duties that will be a decision taken by the relevant manager before endorsing IHR.
If given IHR that would not stop you for applying for a change of employment which may be more suitable and RM do not give references to other employers unless absoutly necessary and not sure if the latest law on data protection on disclosure would be breached.
My actual medical issue has been going on about 5 years and after numerous attempts to rectify the problems, they’ve not improved.

I went to see the the top specialists in the country and while I can get better in time, it won’t be while I am walking 15 miles a day.

There are no duties in my office indoors.

As with lots of people that have worked at rm for a good length of time , the amount of hip , leg ,back , ankle and foot problems add up and I’m at the point where I’ll be permanently damaged all my life.
Pidleypoo
Posts: 705
Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by Pidleypoo »

Just like to add I’ve been through OH assist a few times and have lots of specialists reports and medical evidence to back that up....I’d rather not have to go through this, is rather be in far less pain.

And I have been on long term sick.
hothothot
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 422
Joined: 06 Sep 2016, 13:15
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by hothothot »

By what your saying you should be an ideal candidate for ihr. Long term sick , specialist reports and gp reports. Ask your Dom to recommend you for ihr. Whatever you do stay sick don't go back. Eventually they will give you ihr. I've been through this process myself , it's not as easy as everyone makes out. Good luck.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by rehabron »

Creditshampoo wrote:How about if they offer you shifts in a mail centre 50 miles away
You would be aware that to reject an offer of redeployment for a duty that is tailored to your medical condition may not be advantagious in your pursuit of IHR but the questionaire will say " How far are you willing to travel" this is the manager ensuring that he/she has covered all possibilites before passing to HR for rubber stamping.
What is reasonable and unreasonable ? Expected to travel 100 miles round trip I am of the opinion that this would go in the unreasonable category.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

IHR question

Post by rubberbond »

Navalron wrote:They don't give a job reference but they do confirm how long you were in the job, the scope of the job and also it states ,left on on reconisence of gross misconduct although their not allowed to bad mouth you. But that's from central HR and you can get a personal reference from your last manager. They don't have to do it though. :thumbup
Gross misconduct? For IHR, Really? ,yet you say they're not allowed to,bad mouth you ,I wouldn't like to see them really bad mouth you.