ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Scan scan scan
-
Costas6969
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 08 Dec 2017, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
Our manager is telling us to scan scan scan whatever we can.
Does anyone scan the small barcodes on regular letters?
Not the big barcodes where the stamp goes but the small barcodes where the address is?
Does anyone scan the small barcodes on regular letters?
Not the big barcodes where the stamp goes but the small barcodes where the address is?
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Scan scan scan
Sometimes just for the fun of it.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
We have experimented in our office with scanning some of the smaller barcode squares & rectangles on some letters and magazines. Upon checking the scores afterwards we found they don't register on the system. One example of this is the Barclays Bank statement envelopes where there are square codes that can be scanned but don't register in the system. In short you only need to look for the official 2D barcodes which are four small squares formed into one larger square. These are usually found on the 'horizon' printed postage paid white labels that are usually issued from post offices.
There is another barcode called a QR code which when scanned with a mobile phone takes the user to a website. So you don't need to worry about scanning those with the PDA either.
There is another barcode called a QR code which when scanned with a mobile phone takes the user to a website. So you don't need to worry about scanning those with the PDA either.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
I had a French priorite` item the other day that normally come as International Specials but this was just in with my ordinary mail, I scanned it just to see what would happen and it required a signature.
Not a very interesting story really.
Not a very interesting story really.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
Oooh you took a risk and paid for it. You back out? :Dwacko74 wrote:I had a French priorite` item the other day that normally come as International Specials but this was just in with my ordinary mail, I scanned it just to see what would happen and it required a signature.
Not a very interesting story really.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
The smaller barcodes are only used by the sorting machines (they serve the same purpose as the orange barcodes that you see printed on many letters)
-
number one
- Posts: 1324
- Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
They don’t have a clue what we should be scanning with regards to 2d’s. They also don’t know how many you have each day. I did my own count of 2d barcodes and I had 73. According to Royal Mail I only had 11. I made double sure that I scanned every single one of my 73 so I was 100% sure. The next day it showed I had only scanned 8 out of 11. Asking various managers why the figures are so different and nobody had an answer.
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3345
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
Heh, I once scanned 30+ letters on a loop out of curiosity (got to fill those hours). Had them queued up on the PDA and sent them all at once. I was hoping it would get flagged up somewhere on the system, but never heard a word from management.clashcityrocker wrote:Sometimes just for the fun of it.
The machine stops.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
scan scan scan, now were professional photographers, snap snap snap ontop of being a parcel delivery company
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
We had one busy day last week where a lot of parcels got missed. The next day there was a sheet up on the notice board with all the missed barcodes and which rounds they were on, and written by the DOM underneath - SCAN SCAN SCAN!!! 
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
The 2D barcode system is largely very accurate. The DOM will have access to precise data available to them showing how many 2D items have come through the system each day for each walk. Whether your DOM chooses to share this information with their staff or if they can't be bothered is on them.number one wrote:They don’t have a clue what we should be scanning with regards to 2d’s. They also don’t know how many you have each day. I did my own count of 2d barcodes and I had 73. According to Royal Mail I only had 11. I made double sure that I scanned every single one of my 73 so I was 100% sure. The next day it showed I had only scanned 8 out of 11. Asking various managers why the figures are so different and nobody had an answer.
It sounds like you need some training on what 2D barcodes look like. 73 items is a slightly below average total figure for a week's worth of 2D barcodes for one walk. If you are saying you had 73 for one day that will be incorrect. Some letters such as bank statements and some magazines have barcodes that can be scanned. They will not have the full 2D barcode design of four squares formed into one square so will not register within RM.
2D barcodes are sort of our offices pet project and we are usually top of the twenty or so offices in our area with 97% to 99% scanned. To be honest it's not rocket science and all posties could get 100% all the time with these items.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Tinoblade
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
I always get slated for this but if mine don’t scan I just type out the code above! A lot of people say they dont have time but it’s literally only a few a week which dont scanCelgar wrote:The 2D barcode system is largely very accurate. The DOM will have access to precise data available to them showing how many 2D items have come through the system each day for each walk. Whether your DOM chooses to share this information with their staff or if they can't be bothered is on them.number one wrote:They don’t have a clue what we should be scanning with regards to 2d’s. They also don’t know how many you have each day. I did my own count of 2d barcodes and I had 73. According to Royal Mail I only had 11. I made double sure that I scanned every single one of my 73 so I was 100% sure. The next day it showed I had only scanned 8 out of 11. Asking various managers why the figures are so different and nobody had an answer.
It sounds like you need some training on what 2D barcodes look like. 73 items is a slightly below average total figure for a week's worth of 2D barcodes for one walk. If you are saying you had 73 for one day that will be incorrect. Some letters such as bank statements and some magazines have barcodes that can be scanned. They will not have the full 2D barcode design of four squares formed into one square so will not register within RM.
2D barcodes are sort of our offices pet project and we are usually top of the twenty or so offices in our area with 97% to 99% scanned. To be honest it's not rocket science and all posties could get 100% all the time with these items.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
It's a pain but I do that too. It doesn't happen too often thankfully.Tinoblade wrote:I always get slated for this but if mine don’t scan I just type out the code above! A lot of people say they dont have time but it’s literally only a few a week which dont scanCelgar wrote:The 2D barcode system is largely very accurate. The DOM will have access to precise data available to them showing how many 2D items have come through the system each day for each walk. Whether your DOM chooses to share this information with their staff or if they can't be bothered is on them.number one wrote:They don’t have a clue what we should be scanning with regards to 2d’s. They also don’t know how many you have each day. I did my own count of 2d barcodes and I had 73. According to Royal Mail I only had 11. I made double sure that I scanned every single one of my 73 so I was 100% sure. The next day it showed I had only scanned 8 out of 11. Asking various managers why the figures are so different and nobody had an answer.
It sounds like you need some training on what 2D barcodes look like. 73 items is a slightly below average total figure for a week's worth of 2D barcodes for one walk. If you are saying you had 73 for one day that will be incorrect. Some letters such as bank statements and some magazines have barcodes that can be scanned. They will not have the full 2D barcode design of four squares formed into one square so will not register within RM.
2D barcodes are sort of our offices pet project and we are usually top of the twenty or so offices in our area with 97% to 99% scanned. To be honest it's not rocket science and all posties could get 100% all the time with these items.
"If you don't play to win why keep score?" Worf - ST TNG. (Quote may not be accurate but that's what he meant.)
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Postie_Rob
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 16 Jul 2010, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Scan scan scan
Anyone else noticed a flaw with recorded delivery items with a 2d barcode and orange recorded sticker? If you scan the 2d barcode it comes up as requiring a signature but if you manually input the 2d barcode it never needs a signature. I've tested this many times and it never asks for signature. Of course I then scan the orange sticker to get a signature but the pda says i have 2 items 1 with signature and 1 without.