ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

3 month Renewed Contract?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
edward918
Posts: 40
Joined: 23 Feb 2018, 21:37
Gender: Male

3 month Renewed Contract?

Post by edward918 »

I've been working as a Postie since December 2017 (6 months) on a 6 month temporary contract, just had my new contract through, however it has only been renewed for another 3 months. Why is this? I hope I will be kept on after the next few months are up.

Has anyone else been through a similar experience?

Thanks!
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

3 month Renewed Contract?

Post by Seymour Buts »

I think virtually all start like this nowadays, I have to say I went pernanent after about 2 months but don't worry IXve never heard of anybody not having their contract renewed.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

3 month Renewed Contract?

Post by Creditshampoo »

It’s very unlikely you won’t be kept on. Especially if anyone else has started after you, or your office has casual workers
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

3 month Renewed Contract?

Post by crazyshrew »

It's a game Royal Mail like to play, keeping people on these short contracts as long as they can get away with in order to keep them in line.
Any attempt by an individual to stand up for themselves, such as cutting off to go home on time or refusing to work a day off, can easily be countered by management with threats of their contract not being renewed.
And that's just what they are, threats. They would have to be far more stupid than we give them credit for if they actually carried out that threat.

It took me a full two years (in line with a RM/CWU agreement) to get a permanent contract.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 1374
Joined: 26 Oct 2011, 11:31
Gender: Male

3 month Renewed Contract?

Post by rogersh »

My experience (RDC took on 51 new starters 2013) 8 x 3 month fixed term contracts - Then given a permanent contract on attaining 2 years service as agreed in the Agenda for growth..
A further intake of 26 were taken on & given permanent contracts after 15 months.

Another intake of 71 in Oct/Nov 2016 were initially offered a 6 month fixed term contract which was reduced to a monthly "rolling" contract in May 2017. Their has been no confirmation of permanent contracts being offered when due in Oct/Nov 2018.

Royal Mail have stated they are going to honour agreements made in relation to Part-Time colleagues.
Last edited by rogersh on 18 Jun 2018, 07:32, edited 2 times in total.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

3 month Renewed Contract?

Post by Chewster »

I started on a 3 month temporary contract, which was renewed 4 times before I got a permanent contract, so I wouldn't worry too much