Ok so I'm sure this has been asked and answered before but shortly i have Jury duty and theres a few things i was wondering. Does RM pay your wages still and don't have to claim? And also I'm only on a 25hour contract and basically work 35-40 every week but i presume this is something I'm affectively going to be shafted on and will end up been a loss of earnings really?
I also see on the form theres an option to return for a half or fully day at work if I'm not required but given that your not supposed to arrive at the court till 9:30 even if your not needed at all that day then in this job you cant really return for a full day considering by the time i got home and got myself to work it would be 10:30-11:00 till i arrived at work which is pretty pointless for them surely?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Jury Duty
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Jury Duty
• Jury service: If an employee informs you that they have been called for jury service, you must ask them to provide
the notification of dates from the Court. Let the employee know that we will pay them an average of their basic
pay, assigned allowances and overtime (over the last 13 weeks). This is a loan, and when the employee receives
their loss of earnings from the court, they will be required to pay us back as a one-off payment, or as deductions
from their wage
the notification of dates from the Court. Let the employee know that we will pay them an average of their basic
pay, assigned allowances and overtime (over the last 13 weeks). This is a loan, and when the employee receives
their loss of earnings from the court, they will be required to pay us back as a one-off payment, or as deductions
from their wage
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Jury Duty
You will be paid by RM as normal then put in for expenses/wages to the court at the end. The court will then send you a cheque for the amount you claim. You then have to give a copy of your court pay out letter to work. Work will then contact you to see how you would like to pay back your wages, you can do it over a few weeks and they deduct it straight out of your weekly pay.
The good thing is you only have to pay work back for your basic wages. The average overtime the court pay you extra is yours. You also get your traveling expenses and they give you a lunch allowance of about £6 a day which you can save up and keep.
Both times I have done Jury service I actually worked out financially better off. Not to mention it's a lot easier than trudging the streets all day!
Oh and you won't have to go to work for half days at least I didn't (although I am f/t) and your day off each week while on Jury service should be Saturday so don't let them bully you into coming in on that day unless you want it as overtime.
Good luck!
The good thing is you only have to pay work back for your basic wages. The average overtime the court pay you extra is yours. You also get your traveling expenses and they give you a lunch allowance of about £6 a day which you can save up and keep.
Both times I have done Jury service I actually worked out financially better off. Not to mention it's a lot easier than trudging the streets all day!
Oh and you won't have to go to work for half days at least I didn't (although I am f/t) and your day off each week while on Jury service should be Saturday so don't let them bully you into coming in on that day unless you want it as overtime.
Good luck!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?