ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Day off during the week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Day off during the week

Post by jd9442 »

At our place, we get random days off and get told the week before the next.
If I have an event on a Saturday in a few months time and I ask for my day off that week to be on the Saturday, can they make me use a holiday
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Day off during the week

Post by yellowbelly »

jd9442 wrote:At our place, we get random days off and get told the week before the next.
If I have an event on a Saturday in a few months time and I ask for my day off that week to be on the Saturday, can they make me use a holiday
Depends on your lino or whoever does your manning plot. Three possible answers:

1. "Yes, it'll be your day off" - Get in in writing/text message!

2. "'I'll see what I can do" and keep you hanging on for months, ask you to do extra lapsing week in week out 'because you want that Saturday off don't you?'

3. "Day or holiday not a chance, I've done the manning plot for the whole year and I'm not changing it now!! :cuppa :cuppa "
beerhamilton
Posts: 10
Joined: 11 May 2011, 18:31
Gender: Male

Day off during the week

Post by beerhamilton »

yellowbelly wrote:
jd9442 wrote:At our place, we get random days off and get told the week before the next.
If I have an event on a Saturday in a few months time and I ask for my day off that week to be on the Saturday, can they make me use a holiday
Depends on your lino or whoever does your manning plot. Three possible answers:

1. "Yes, it'll be your day off" - Get in in writing/text message!

2. "'I'll see what I can do" and keep you hanging on for months, ask you to do extra lapsing week in week out 'because you want that Saturday off don't you?'

3. "Day or holiday not a chance, I've done the manning plot for the whole year and I'm not changing it now!! :cuppa :cuppa "
Take your rep in to see the Dom, you should have one long weekend in 6. If you want a Saturday off in a couple of months time and not had one off for ha few months, your rep should sort that out.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Day off during the week

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

jd9442 wrote:At our place, we get random days off and get told the week before the next.
If I have an event on a Saturday in a few months time and I ask for my day off that week to be on the Saturday, can they make me use a holiday
Me personal advice, if you want that Saturday off, book it as annual leave to make sure you get it. If they then give you that day as a rostered day off you will be given the days annual leave back, if they don't then you'll have 2 days off that week.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Day off during the week

Post by yellowbelly »

yellowbelly wrote:
jd9442 wrote:At our place, we get random days off and get told the week before the next.
If I have an event on a Saturday in a few months time and I ask for my day off that week to be on the Saturday, can they make me use a holiday
Depends on your lino or whoever does your manning plot. Three possible answers:

1. "Yes, it'll be your day off" - Get in in writing/text message!

2. "'I'll see what I can do" and keep you hanging on for months, ask you to do extra lapsing week in week out 'because you want that Saturday off don't you?'

3. "Day or holiday not a chance, I've done the manning plot for the whole year and I'm not changing it now!! :cuppa :cuppa "
jd - pardon my previous (and perhaps flippant) response but I've heard all those answers.

Keep a record of the Saturdays you've had off and follow beerhamiltions advice or ultimately to make sure take TBT's advice and book as days holiday.
beerhamilton
Posts: 10
Joined: 11 May 2011, 18:31
Gender: Male

Day off during the week

Post by beerhamilton »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
jd9442 wrote:At our place, we get random days off and get told the week before the next.
If I have an event on a Saturday in a few months time and I ask for my day off that week to be on the Saturday, can they make me use a holiday
Me personal advice, if you want that Saturday off, book it as annual leave to make sure you get it. If they then give you that day as a rostered day off you will be given the days annual leave back, if they don't then you'll have 2 days off that week.
One long weekend in 6 that’s the agreement,so would it be unreasonable to want and get 1 every now and again no.
jd9442
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Apr 2017, 20:57
Gender: Male

Day off during the week

Post by jd9442 »

Thanks for all the responses people, I'm looking at attempting to get 2 Saturdays off in the same month, good luck me!

Didn't read it as flippant yellow! All made sense!