ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ill Health Retirement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Ill Health Retirement

Post by debs6363 »

I am currently off sick after having a knee arthroscopy 3 weeks ago. The 3rd operation on my knee in 4 years! I have osteoarthritis, so it's not a condition that will improve unfortunately. O H Assist have previously recognised it as a disability. I had been struggling to do the job for some time before my op, so I approached my DOM to enquire about ill health retirement. I'm 54 and have been a postie for 14 years and although I enjoy my job, for the most part, I know that I can't carry on without damaging my knee further.
I'm expecting a phone call from O H Assist this week about it. Does anyone know what I can expect from them, what happens next?
postman nel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
Gender: Male

Ill Health Retirement

Post by postman nel »

You'll get a phone call and will get asked lots of questions ,after 5 months off after my hip operation I had the phone call and basically I told them that I couldn't guarantee me having future time off work with my hip and the next day my DOM phoned me that to say I was eligible for IHR and it was all sorted within 2 weeks ..4 years on ,my health is so much better, got my social life back ( I do miss the banter with the lads) and have no regrets :thumbup
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Ill Health Retirement

Post by debs6363 »

Thanks postman nel. I had a call from O H Assist today and they are happy to recommend me for ill health retirement, so we'll just see what happens next :thumbup
morgaith80
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Aug 2015, 17:21
Gender: Male

Ill Health Retirement

Post by morgaith80 »

Just need to wait for your manager to receive the report from OH assist. Then they can request a quote for your IHR payment, it should work out at about 34 weeks lump sum plus 12 weeks in lieu of notice, and process your retirement once they receive that quote. Should only take a couple of weeks all being well.
debs6363
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 29
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
Gender: Female

Ill Health Retirement

Post by debs6363 »

Blimey that's quick! I better start looking for a new job :shock: