ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ontario teachers pension fund - How to run a pension fund

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
stephen500
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1458
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 04:04

Ontario teachers pension fund - How to run a pension fund

Post by stephen500 »

In the late 70s when I became a member of the Post office Superannuation scheme (Our pension plan) we had a mix of investments. We owned properties or had shares in properties, such as the Whitgift Centre (A shopping centre in Croydon). If we had maintained a wider spread of risks, then it is without doubt that our returns would have been much higher, then the current bunker mentality of little risk and little return. Here is an example of a pension fund with mixed investments. The Ontario teacher's pension fund. It has from time to time, had it's problems. But it does so from a position of strength. It part owns our National lottery, 100% of Bristol Airport and has assets of $175 billion dollars.
It appears a shinning example of how to run a pension fund.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... nsion_Plan
https://www.otpp.com/home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Ontario teachers pension fund - How to run a pension fund

Post by Dorset Plodder »

When I first heard that our Lottery was owned by the Canadian Teachers Pension Fund I remember thinking, "Now there's a smart bunch of people" :Applause

However Stephen you can't expect our Leaders to be that smart. :sad: We have absolutely NO input on these sort of decisions, they're well above our pay grade. You're on your way out mate so I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. I'm playing safe and putting money into my own Personal Pension Fund (nothing to do with RM). I wouldn't trust these clowns with my Old Age Security. When I first joined I was pleasantly surprised to be told by an Older Postie that we had a really good pension scheme, sadly our younger colleagues will not be able to say the same. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)