ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Notice period required for resignation

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
iaingreen1986
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Sep 2012, 07:49
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by iaingreen1986 »

Hi,

I know it sounds like for something that's easy to find but I can't find anywhere what the notice period is for resignation as a postman. It rings a bell that it depends on your contract and length of service. Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Iain
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice period required for resignation

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

iaingreen1986 wrote:Hi,

I know it sounds like for something that's easy to find but I can't find anywhere what the notice period is for resignation as a postman. It rings a bell that it depends on your contract and length of service. Anyone able to help?

Thanks

Iain

Your length of service affects how much notice they can give you, not how much you give.

New starters are on 1-month notice of resignation, nearly everyone else is on 1 week

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
iaingreen1986
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Sep 2012, 07:49
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by iaingreen1986 »

I knew I'd seen something about varying lengths but couldn't remember which way round it is. Didn't realise it was only a weeks notice though...I assumed it was a month.

Thanks...muchos help
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by BeamishStout »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote: New starters are on 1-month notice of resignation, nearly everyone else is on 1 week

Image
Where does the original information come from?

I also assume 14.2 is applicable for retirement notice as well as resignation. :hmmmm
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice period required for resignation

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

From my original contract.

Yes, retirement is a form of resignation and I believe after a certain age, resignation is counted as retirement.

However, my advice would be to advise the proper authorities of a wish to retire at a certain date as there are usually far more issues to deal with than just quitting.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 27&t=39326" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6696
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by RobertT »

It used to be that you had to retire at 65. But that is no longer the case – you now resign and take your pension.

If you’re going to take your pension when leaving RM, then inform the PSC 3-4 months before hand. But only one week is required for handing in your notice to your DOM.

Resignation after 60 is only counted as retiring as far as the tax treatment of your free RM shares is concerned.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by BeamishStout »

RobertT wrote: Resignation after 60 is only counted as retiring as far as the tax treatment of your free RM shares is concerned.
Hmmm I had forgotten about the free shares (and their tax treatment) - will have to factor this in :oops:

Re the contract issue I think I may ask to see my contract of employment in the near future - I don't have a copy myself.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by BeamishStout »

OK a slightly different question. Am now clear that I won't lose any free shares on retirement (after reaching 60) or pay any NI/Tax so long as I don't flog them early.

But what is the practical effect of having the shares taken out of the Share Incentive Plan (SIP). Does this mean that I become an ordinary shareholder with whatever shares I have with no future 'free' entitlements (same as someone who bought the shares on the open market) ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72738
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice period required for resignation

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Basically yes, you'll still get dividends if you keep them etc, but if there is any Free Issue of shares then as a non-employee you won't get any. Doubt they'll be anymore anyway.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by BeamishStout »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Basically yes, you'll still get dividends if you keep them etc, but if there is any Free Issue of shares then as a non-employee you won't get any. Doubt they'll be anymore anyway.
:thumbup
tone123
Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by tone123 »

My Postman contract started in May this year. Clause 13.2 says;
"If you wish to leave Royal Mail Employment you must give four week's (their incorrect punctuation, not mine :roll: ) notice if weekly paid or one month's (again :roll: ) notice if monthly paid. Royal Mail may waive this notice either in whole or part".
Four weeks is a long time when you're not enjoying it.
If you've got any holidays already booked or a Bank Holiday in the offing then make sure these fall within your notice period. There's nothing they can do about it.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Notice period required for resignation

Post by k979aaa »

You only get paid a week in hand if you are weekly paid what are they going to do press gang you into doing a month Oh second thoughts maybe the would!
tone123
Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by tone123 »

k979aaa wrote:You only get paid a week in hand if you are weekly paid what are they going to do press gang you into doing a month Oh second thoughts maybe the would!
It's a tricky one as I agree they're acting unfairly in stating you need to give 4 weeks notice when you are only paid every one week.
Strictly speaking, if 4 weeks is specified in the contract that I signed then they can reasonably expect that as I agreed to it.
I guess you could just give one weeks notice but they might then mention this in responding to reference requests from your new employer. I believe that this is contrary to employment law but there's ways of phrasing things that say more than the words used.
Maybe they're not bothered but I get the feeling from everything that's happened to me so far that RM actually enjoys making life difficult for it's employees.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by datasaint »

The 4 weeks thing is future proofing for moving to monthly pay I would have thought.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Notice period required for resignation

Post by woopesh »

Does it have to be written or can you just tell your DOM you are leaving?