ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Gangham_style14 »

Next weeks duties went up today and to my horror due to lack of staff (what's new?) I have been paired with that one person who everybody moans about working with in our office :-/
He's a nice enough lad.... but doesn't normally get back until 4/5pm ..... people seem to mock others when they get lumbered with him, and now for the first time it's my turn, I marched straight into the managers office asking for my own van next week to which I was told might not be available so I told them that I'm not prepared to go over by a minute and I will follow procedure next week to Finnish ontime everyday to which the jump up line manager tried to argue until I told him if I'm paired with somebody that is under performing for RM how do you expect me to Finnish ontime when he can't even Finnish the simplest of routes on a light Tuesday until silly o'clock

So next week will be fun I'm sure .....
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Kings Norton »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Next weeks duties went up today and to my horror due to lack of staff (what's new?) I have been paired with that one person who everybody moans about working with in our office :-/
He's a nice enough lad.... but doesn't normally get back until 4/5pm ..... people seem to mock others when they get lumbered with him, and now for the first time it's my turn, I marched straight into the managers office asking for my own van next week to which I was told might not be available so I told them that I'm not prepared to go over by a minute and I will follow procedure next week to Finnish ontime everyday to which the jump up line manager tried to argue until I told him if I'm paired with somebody that is under performing for RM how do you expect me to Finnish ontime when he can't even Finnish the simplest of routes on a light Tuesday until silly o'clock

So next week will be fun I'm sure .....
Two in my office the procedure is the partners cut off once they have done and leave them to walk back. Simple!
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Judgee »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Next weeks duties went up today and to my horror due to lack of staff (what's new?) I have been paired with that one person who everybody moans about working with in our office :-/
He's a nice enough lad.... but doesn't normally get back until 4/5pm ..... people seem to mock others when they get lumbered with him, and now for the first time it's my turn, I marched straight into the managers office asking for my own van next week to which I was told might not be available so I told them that I'm not prepared to go over by a minute and I will follow procedure next week to Finnish ontime everyday to which the jump up line manager tried to argue until I told him if I'm paired with somebody that is under performing for RM how do you expect me to Finnish ontime when he can't even Finnish the simplest of routes on a light Tuesday until silly o'clock

So next week will be fun I'm sure .....
Perhaps you are the one everybody moans about behind your back how would you like that? Perhaps they all moan about you getting in early, cutting corners, rushing about cutting the job up?

Work to your time if you don't like it that's your prerogative, but don't come on here bitching because someone does the job properly or is not as fast as "you" would like, that's their prerogative! :speak to the hand
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Gangham_style14 »

Ha, each to their own .... I come in on my start time
Finnish on my Finnish time .......
and I still manage to get my job done ontime with my current buddy, ive got kids to pick up from school so there is no way I'm gonna leave them
Waiting at the gate because somebody works at a super slow pace....
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Judgee »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Ha, each to their own .... I come in on my start time
Finnish on my Finnish time .......
and I still manage to get my job done ontime with my current buddy, ive got kids to pick up from school so there is no way I'm gonna leave them
Waiting at the gate because somebody works at a super slow pace....
Bully for you have a peanut and stop being a dick about your workmates! :thumbup
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Seymour Buts »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Ha, each to their own .... I come in on my start time
Finnish on my Finnish time .......
and I still manage to get my job done ontime with my current buddy, ive got kids to pick up from school so there is no way I'm gonna leave them
Waiting at the gate because somebody works at a super slow pace....
People out till 4 and 5 o'clock everyday are taking the piss, not their time!

There's one in our office out till literally 4 or 5 every single day, even on light Tuesdays and stuff. He got put on a single duty in the end and they capped the amount of overtime he could book.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by woopesh »

If you have a reason for getting off work on time say to pick up kids after school, I sympathise.

But I suspect you are one of those people who help make Royal Mail such a s**t place to work. I despair when I van share with people like you.

Your attitude sucks.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Judgee »

postietom wrote:
Gangham_style14 wrote:Ha, each to their own .... I come in on my start time
Finnish on my Finnish time .......
and I still manage to get my job done ontime with my current buddy, ive got kids to pick up from school so there is no way I'm gonna leave them
Waiting at the gate because somebody works at a super slow pace....
People out till 4 and 5 o'clock everyday are taking the piss, not their time!

There's one in our office out till literally 4 or 5 every single day, even on light Tuesdays and stuff. He got put on a single duty in the end and they capped the amount of overtime he could book.
Are you a manager? Are you paying their wages? If the answer to both questions is "no" mind your own business and let them get on with it it's not your problem! :crazy:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Gangham_style14 »

My attitude sucks ? Wow I bet your a yes mr manager I'll take my lapsing today even if it means I'll Finnish over my Finnish time, difference is pal I stand my ground
Too many "yes sir, no sir" people within Royal Mail, I don't Run on the job don't need to, I come in on my start time Finnish on my Finnish time, i know exactly how long my job takes and if I can't lapse I tell the managers and they don't argue, if I feel I need to raise a point I will.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by bustedflush »

Unfortunately the OP is right, there's one or two in each office you want to avoid at all costs, for the same reasons. Not because they're using the trolley, having breaks, working to time (if these two I saw 'worked to their time' I or anyone else would not have had an issue!) but because they are simply p!ss-takingly slow and in a word underperforming by 2 hours even when measured against the most ardent work-to-the-book types. These people drag you down and cause stress - yes I know some rounds are harder than others but NO round has ever been planned to take an average-speed OPG an hour over on a Tuesday and 2.5-3 hours over on a Wed/Thu!!!!! If they had, every moaner in the office would have battered the DIMs ears and they would be well aware of it.

The fact that these people are slow costs RM a fortune in unnecessary O/T especially when you can do the same round, sensibly, and finish early or on-time. IF they have a genuine reason to be slow, then yes they should have their own van or solo round and have the overtime capped like they did at my old place or maybe looked at for redeployment or IHR.

Don't forget urban mail should be delivered no later than 15:00 and rural 16:00 IIRC?? so these types are breaking the standards anyway, that alone is reason for reviewing their performance. The poor sod paired with them then feels frustrated, pressurized into helping them so they do even less or forced to face the awkward arguments with the DIMs asking for their own van, or the uncomfortable feeling of leaving them out there and going back on time. So it's not being 'unsupportive' or 'selfish' to be concerned when you get stitched-up like the OP.

One of the two I refer to was regularly finishing rounds at 17-18:00, the other (since redeployed) was witnessed on numerous occasions delivering post after 8PM. This was reported to other posties when covering the round.

Sorry, it's a business and you have to draw the line somewhere.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Gangham_style14 »

bustedflush wrote:Unfortunately the OP is right, there's one or two in each office you want to avoid at all costs, for the same reasons. Not because they're using the trolley, having breaks, working to time (if these two I saw 'worked to their time' I or anyone else would not have had an issue!) but because they are simply p!ss-takingly slow and in a word underperforming by 2 hours even when measured against the most ardent work-to-the-book types. These people drag you down and cause stress - yes I know some rounds are harder than others but NO round has ever been planned to take an average-speed OPG an hour over on a Tuesday and 2.5-3 hours over on a Wed/Thu!!!!! If they had, every moaner in the office would have battered the DIMs ears and they would be well aware of it.

The fact that these people are slow costs RM a fortune in unnecessary O/T especially when you can do the same round, sensibly, and finish early or on-time. IF they have a genuine reason to be slow, then yes they should have their own van or solo round and have the overtime capped like they did at my old place or maybe looked at for redeployment or IHR.

Don't forget urban mail should be delivered no later than 15:00 and rural 16:00 IIRC?? so these types are breaking the standards anyway, that alone is reason for reviewing their performance. The poor sod paired with them then feels frustrated, pressurized into helping them so they do even less or forced to face the awkward arguments with the DIMs asking for their own van, or the uncomfortable feeling of leaving them out there and going back on time. So it's not being 'unsupportive' or 'selfish' to be concerned when you get stitched-up like the OP.

One of the two I refer to was regularly finishing rounds at 17-18:00, the other (since redeployed) was witnessed on numerous occasions delivering post after 8PM. This was reported to other posties when covering the round.

Sorry, it's a business and you have to draw the line somewhere.



This hit the nail on the head ........
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Interested-seeker »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Next weeks duties went up today and to my horror due to lack of staff (what's new?) I have been paired with that one person who everybody moans about working with in our office :-/
He's a nice enough lad.... but doesn't normally get back until 4/5pm ..... people seem to mock others when they get lumbered with him, and now for the first time it's my turn, I marched straight into the managers office asking for my own van next week to which I was told might not be available so I told them that I'm not prepared to go over by a minute and I will follow procedure next week to Finnish ontime everyday to which the jump up line manager tried to argue until I told him if I'm paired with somebody that is under performing for RM how do you expect me to Finnish ontime when he can't even Finnish the simplest of routes on a light Tuesday until silly o'clock

So next week will be fun I'm sure .....
I'm feeling sorry for this guy who you are talking about. You and your co-workers don't sound very supportive.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by Jpro747 »

Judgee wrote:
postietom wrote:
Gangham_style14 wrote:Ha, each to their own .... I come in on my start time
Finnish on my Finnish time .......
and I still manage to get my job done ontime with my current buddy, ive got kids to pick up from school so there is no way I'm gonna leave them
Waiting at the gate because somebody works at a super slow pace....
People out till 4 and 5 o'clock everyday are taking the piss, not their time!

There's one in our office out till literally 4 or 5 every single day, even on light Tuesdays and stuff. He got put on a single duty in the end and they capped the amount of overtime he could book.
Are you a manager? Are you paying their wages? If the answer to both questions is "no" mind your own business and let them get on with it it's not your problem! :crazy:
This hits the nail on the head. Why worry about what others are doing. Start on time and do the job properly, if you think you'll be over use the cut off procedure and finish on time. Let management worry about it.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by worktotime »

I would love to work with you . I start on time , take a break , oh and I use a lwt on every loop and never carry a bag and if I don't complete it goes back no arguments no matter who I work with regardless of the way they work or the speed they work as long as they work the way the cwu want us to work , as I have a finish time no matter what the clowns throw at me and I have kids to pick up , and does this guy work the same ? if you have an problems with finishing in your time tell the dim and you don't have to slag any of your work colleagues off for doing the job right .
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

I bet every office has one .... maybe two?

Post by sussexlad »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Next weeks duties went up today and to my horror due to lack of staff (what's new?) I have been paired with that one person who everybody moans about working with in our office :-/
He's a nice enough lad.... but doesn't normally get back until 4/5pm ..... people seem to mock others when they get lumbered with him, and now for the first time it's my turn, I marched straight into the managers office asking for my own van next week to which I was told might not be available so I told them that I'm not prepared to go over by a minute and I will follow procedure next week to Finnish ontime everyday to which the jump up line manager tried to argue until I told him if I'm paired with somebody that is under performing for RM how do you expect me to Finnish ontime when he can't even Finnish the simplest of routes on a light Tuesday until silly o'clock

So next week will be fun I'm sure .....
Instead of wanting to 'Finnish' on time, why don't you 'Norwegian' on time or even 'Swedish' on time! That way you might even FINISH on time!!