ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
signing out
-
Nichola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 May 2017, 20:23
- Gender: Female
signing out
I am a bit confused about the signing out. Iv been told that when I came back from Delivery that is my signing out time. I am then told I have to stay behind to prep d2ds for the next day which can maybe take an hour but I don't claim for that hour. I'm told I'm paid up to the time I come back from delivery I dont claim the hours if I stay behind to prep. Is that right, Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Thanks
Last edited by Nichola on 04 Jun 2017, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
signing out
don't get back early and only work your hours!Nichola wrote:Hi,
Iv just started and am in my 3rd week. I am a bit confused about the signing out. Iv been told that when I came back from Delivery that is my signing out time. I am then told I have to stay behind to prep d2ds for the next day which can maybe take an hour but I don't claim for that hour. I'm told I'm paid up to the time I come back from delivery I dont claim the hours if I stay behind to prep. Is that right, Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
signing out
no, signing out time is when you go home. Maybe they meant signing back time as in when you return to the office, and then a signing out time once youve done all your bits once you get back such as return P739s, put pouches back on frame etc. If youre doing work then you should be getting paid, its that simple. Prepping d2ds into a frame is work, so you either get paid for it, or you go home.Nichola wrote:Hi,
Iv just started and am in my 3rd week. I am a bit confused about the signing out. Iv been told that when I came back from Delivery that is my signing out time. I am then told I have to stay behind to prep d2ds for the next day which can maybe take an hour but I don't claim for that hour. I'm told I'm paid up to the time I come back from delivery I dont claim the hours if I stay behind to prep. Is that right, Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
-
blisterfeet
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 18:48
- Gender: Male
signing out
When you get back to the office from delivery you sign in (much the same as first thing in the morning) then you do any work that needs to be done i.e. taking p739's to the office, prepping D2D's if you have time left in your duty. Then you sign out as you leave the office. Your signing out time is when you leave the office because if there was a fire they need to know who is in the office and who isn't, if you do as your manager tells you and there's a fire they will think you're not in the office. I'm sure your manager has his own "reasons" for wanting you to do it his way ;-)Nichola wrote:Hi,
Iv just started and am in my 3rd week. I am a bit confused about the signing out. Iv been told that when I came back from Delivery that is my signing out time. I am then told I have to stay behind to prep d2ds for the next day which can maybe take an hour but I don't claim for that hour. I'm told I'm paid up to the time I come back from delivery I dont claim the hours if I stay behind to prep. Is that right, Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
-
Nichola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 May 2017, 20:23
- Gender: Female
signing out
Thank you everyone,
Also what if the other person you are on with doesnt take breaks? Does that not mean we r loosing out on pay everyday?
Also what if the other person you are on with doesnt take breaks? Does that not mean we r loosing out on pay everyday?
-
hampshireman
- Posts: 792
- Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
- Gender: Male
signing out
Nichola wrote:Thank you everyone,
Also what if the other person you are on with doesnt take breaks? Does that not mean we r loosing out on pay everyday?
If the person you are with does not take a break and you do not take a break. Then , if you finish on time , you would be losing pay.
I still cannot get my head round why people do this.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
signing out
one word for people who don't take a breaks IDIOTS , tell whoever you work with that you will be having a break either 20 - 40 mins its your so why work through it , and don't tell me you don't use the methods , lwt etc ?Nichola wrote:Thank you everyone,
Also what if the other person you are on with doesnt take breaks? Does that not mean we r loosing out on pay everyday?
-
Nichola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 May 2017, 20:23
- Gender: Female
signing out
I can't really sit in the van though and take a break while they work on. What's lwt? It's just all very daunting atm, was told we would just be going in lifting our stuff and going but now I'm more or less in charge of a frame and sorting parcels and putting together d2ds if I start at 8:30 then I'm more or less the last to leave and my van share person is waiting.
-
Clared
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
- Gender: Female
signing out
INichola wrote:I am a bit confused about the signing out. Iv been told that when I came back from Delivery that is my signing out time. I am then told I have to stay behind to prep d2ds for the next day which can maybe take an hour but I don't claim for that hour. I'm told I'm paid up to the time I come back from delivery I dont claim the hours if I stay behind to prep. Is that right, Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Don't come back early. I usually get back early but I use the time to put in D/D or election stuff for the next day so it's out of the way. So I don't get sent back out. Don't work for free, work to your time. My partner & I take don't take breaks during our walk we take it at the end if we are early. We just prefer to keep going & get the job done.
-
Clared
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
- Gender: Female
signing out
Clared wrote:Nichola wrote:I am a bit confused about the signing out. Iv been told that when I came back from Delivery that is my signing out time. I am then told I have to stay behind to prep d2ds for the next day which can maybe take an hour but I don't claim for that hour. I'm told I'm paid up to the time I come back from delivery I dont claim the hours if I stay behind to prep. Is that right, Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Don't come back early. I usually get back early but I use the time to put in D/D or election stuff for the next day so it's out of the way. So I don't get sent back out. Don't work for free, work to your time. My partner & I take don't take breaks during our walk we take it at the end if we are early. We just prefer to keep going & get the job done.
-
Nichola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 May 2017, 20:23
- Gender: Female
signing out
I'm never back early, always a few hours over, do you then just go home and leave your other work til the next day? Everyone seems to do it different but was told you don't get paid for prep work after your delivery
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
signing out
If they won't pay you then don't do it - leave it until the next day.Nichola wrote:I'm never back early, always a few hours over, do you then just go home and leave your other work til the next day? Everyone seems to do it different but was told you don't get paid for prep work after your delivery
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
signing out
You need to learn how to book overtime and cut off policy. Managers are economical about the truth to make savings. So you need to make sure it is done properly. First of all ask a local postman to find out who is the union rep and work place coach. It is brutal time at work at the moment due to General election. It will get easier after next week until Christmas and autumn workload start. There are plenty of advices on this forum.
-
Darwinsdad
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
- Gender: Male
signing out
To put it bluntly, whoever is telling you to prep the D2Ds for the following day is doing two things. Firstly, preying on the fact that you are relatively new to the job they are seeing how far they can push you, and secondly, they are taking the p***.Nichola wrote:I am a bit confused about the signing out. Iv been told that when I came back from Delivery that is my signing out time. I am then told I have to stay behind to prep d2ds for the next day which can maybe take an hour but I don't claim for that hour. I'm told I'm paid up to the time I come back from delivery I dont claim the hours if I stay behind to prep. Is that right, Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Only ever prep D2Ds for the next day if you return from your duty early (after you have sorted out anything you have brought back such as P739 items, vehicle keys etc), and only up till your contracted finish time.
Top tips
1. Don't come in early or work past your finish time unless you are getting paid, they will expect it.
2. Join the union.
3. You are entitled to a break (contracted hours allowing) take it.
4. Signing out time is exactly that - the time you leave the building to go home.
5. It's easy for me to say not knowing the type of person you are, but stand up to the management if you feel you are being taken advantage of.
6. Lastly, don't ever expect any thanks no matter what you do.
LWT is something that looks like golf trolley. Used for hanging bags on to save you carrying them round your loops. Get in the habit of using one. If you have an accident whilst you are out on delivery, expect these three questions. Can you complete, were you wearing issue footwear, were you using a trolley.
Apart from all that, stick at it, it does get a little easier when you know what you're doing
-
Nichola
- Posts: 5
- Joined: 03 May 2017, 20:23
- Gender: Female
signing out
Thank you everyone for the advice it has really helped