ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Starting next week

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Starting next week

Post by MissKazzyB »

Hi,
I've finally got my contract through the post & im due to start next week. I'm really excited now to start as I've been waiting months for everything to go through.
I have afew questions for anyone that can answer them please :
Do they do a work rota in advance, like a month so I know what day I have off ? My contract is 25 hours each week mon - sat with a day off during the week.
If I wanted a certain day off in afew weeks time to attend my sons sports day at school, am I allowed to request a certain day or am I just given whatever day they say ?
I read that I get life insurance. This is something I've been meaning to get for a long time. Shall I bother to get it now or not bother as RM do it ?
How does the pension work ?
Thanks
Gordonparrish1
Posts: 17
Joined: 03 Mar 2017, 14:37
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by Gordonparrish1 »

I've only been there about three week but The rota at my DO is done about a week In Advance. If you ask for your day off to be a certain day they should be able to accommodate as long as it's good notice.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Starting next week

Post by Lounge Lizard »

I don't know about life insurance but there's a very generous Death Benefit after quite a few years :thumbup
and none of us knows when our number's up. :shock:
tonytucker
Posts: 190
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
Gender: Male
Location: Essex now

Starting next week

Post by tonytucker »

Pension ha ha ha your hoping ain't Yer!!
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6696
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by RobertT »

RM take out life insurance for you, otherwise known as a death in service payment. If you’re an active member of any RM pension arrangement, it would be a payment of 4 times salary on your death.

Details of that and the Royal Mail Defined Contribution pension plan are available in the plan guide here: https://www.zurich.co.uk/internet/works ... 716529.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by rubberbond »

tonytucker wrote:Pension ha ha ha your hoping ain't Yer!!
Ah the innocence of youth. Don't worry they'll be as cynical as the rest of us after Christmas. Doesn't take long does it.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Starting next week

Post by Darren Bent »

if you are a reserve then your day off will probably be on Tuesdays and rarely get Saturday off and get every bank holiday off. Just hope you get a decent delivery office which will rotate your day off like this wk 1 Monday, wk 2 Tuesday and so on. to week 6 Saturday. Good luck.
bigal383
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 492
Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:20
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by bigal383 »

Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

Starting next week

Post by woking »

bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Starting next week

Post by Judgee »

woking wrote:
bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.

One of a very lucky few who got made up then. Or not so lucky if you have a revision soon, as part timers will all be pushed ahead of the queue on future resigns and you will back as a reserve.

Good luck to anyone trying to get a full time contract now as they want us all part time and come he end of the five year grace period we could all wake up with part time contracts! (although at least then I may get back on a walk :hmmmm )
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

Starting next week

Post by woking »

Judgee wrote:
woking wrote:
bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.

One of a very lucky few who got made up then. Or not so lucky if you have a revision soon, as part timers will all be pushed ahead of the queue on future resigns and you will back as a reserve.

Good luck to anyone trying to get a full time contract now as they want us all part time and come he end of the five year grace period we could all wake up with part time contracts! (although at least then I may get back on a walk :hmmmm )
I signed for my walk so how would I be put back as a reserve?
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by datasaint »

woking wrote:
Judgee wrote:
woking wrote:
bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.

One of a very lucky few who got made up then. Or not so lucky if you have a revision soon, as part timers will all be pushed ahead of the queue on future resigns and you will back as a reserve.

Good luck to anyone trying to get a full time contract now as they want us all part time and come he end of the five year grace period we could all wake up with part time contracts! (although at least then I may get back on a walk :hmmmm )
I signed for my walk so how would I be put back as a reserve?
Office revision, walk becomes PT hours i.e. no prep time given. FTers allocated as reserves, will do indoor sort and whatever walking required.

Basically they can make you do whatever as long as its a reasonable request and fits your contracted hours.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by South_London_Postie »

Regarding turning duties into part time- I don't often agree or get impressed by RM tactics but that is genius hahahahahaha

Out of pure spite to some of the selfish old timer twats In my office can't wait to see their face when they lose their 3 hour walk. And get stuffed with a 6 hour dredge.
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by Kick the Bucket »

South_London_Postie wrote:Regarding turning duties into part time- I don't often agree or get impressed by RM tactics but that is genius hahahahahaha

Out of pure spite to some of the selfish old timer twats In my office can't wait to see their face when they lose their 3 hour walk. And get stuffed with a 6 hour dredge.
And you think that they will leave those duties at 3 hours? Keep believing, Royal Mail will make them 6 going on 7 hours if they have anything to do with it.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Starting next week

Post by Jpro747 »

You can ask your manager if you can get the day off for the sports day but don't hold your breath. Failing that ask a colleague if they would like to swap. The duty's are put up 2 weeks in advance if you're lucky, but as always subject to change. Welcome to the jungle!!