ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
-
BE89
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
Full time staff in my office get a Saturday off every 1 in 6. As a part timer am I also entitled to the same? I am usually given Tuesday's off and have to ask the manager if I want a Saturday off well in advance and see what he can do. I have been working for Royal Mail since August and have never had a long weekend off. I have also noticed in the office that 1 other part timer who is a female gets a lot more Saturday's off than the other P/Ters.
Is there anything I can do to guarantee the 1 in 6 or do I just have to go along with whatever the manager Rotas?
Is there anything I can do to guarantee the 1 in 6 or do I just have to go along with whatever the manager Rotas?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
You can't guarantee 1 in 6 because the agreement they are applying says "the majority of staff getting 1 in 4 saturdays off", for the same reason long weekends can't be certain.
However, you should be treated the same as all other employees, so if you want to push it you'll need to see the rep and perhaps make it official (grievance). However, if your manager is approachable, I would say an informal chat would be the first thing to do, it may get sorted without aggro then.
As a side note, I haven't had a Saturday off, except leave, since I started in 2004

However, you should be treated the same as all other employees, so if you want to push it you'll need to see the rep and perhaps make it official (grievance). However, if your manager is approachable, I would say an informal chat would be the first thing to do, it may get sorted without aggro then.
As a side note, I haven't had a Saturday off, except leave, since I started in 2004
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
daveyeff
- Posts: 4699
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
- Gender: Male
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
p/tmrs normally get s**t on, especially new starters. if you are not on a rota or regular cover you will be at the mercy of the DOM/lino. and you will find saturdays off are practically non existent. wrong I know. but its the way these clowns run the business.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
Do you work 5 days a week? If so then you should get a fair share of Saturdays and any reasonable DOM would try and accommodate you. 'Reasonable' not being a trait most DOMs are known to be gifted with! 
Oh the female in your office getting more Saturdays off is probably playing the family friendly card. We had one in our office that had every Saturday off. Great for her but less chance for anyone else to get a Saturday off!
Oh the female in your office getting more Saturdays off is probably playing the family friendly card. We had one in our office that had every Saturday off. Great for her but less chance for anyone else to get a Saturday off!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
BE89
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
Thanks for the advice. I do work 5 days a week. I will speak with the manager tomorrow and bring up my concerns. I just feel annoyed that I have to try and make an effort to get something that I should be entitled to anyways.
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
Just a quick one on this, let's say you work 25 hours a week as a spare, but you are only given your duties at best two weeks in advance. Now you may be planning a dirty weekend away in two months time, with no shift pattern how do you know whether you need to book it off or it would be a rest day. Doesn't seem fair and a possible waste of leave when you may have been rostered off.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You can't guarantee 1 in 6 because the agreement they are applying says "the majority of staff getting 1 in 4 saturdays off", for the same reason long weekends can't be certain.
However, you should be treated the same as all other employees, so if you want to push it you'll need to see the rep and perhaps make it official (grievance). However, if your manager is approachable, I would say an informal chat would be the first thing to do, it may get sorted without aggro then.
As a side note, I haven't had a Saturday off, except leave, since I started in 2004![]()
![]()
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
It's taken me over 2 years to finally be in a holiday group so will be getting my first long weekend in a few weeks. Unfortunately that seems to be fairly normal. The girl in our office swaps her weekdays for Saturdays with others in her group as that's what works for her and the others in her group. Don't just accept the tuesdays as your day off but good luck with the Saturdays for at least the first year!
-
slinder123
- Posts: 261
- Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
- Gender: Female
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
and that is supposed to make him feel better is itTrueBlueTerrier wrote:You can't guarantee 1 in 6 because the agreement they are applying says "the majority of staff getting 1 in 4 saturdays off", for the same reason long weekends can't be certain.
However, you should be treated the same as all other employees, so if you want to push it you'll need to see the rep and perhaps make it official (grievance). However, if your manager is approachable, I would say an informal chat would be the first thing to do, it may get sorted without aggro then.
As a side note, I haven't had a Saturday off, except leave, since I started in 2004![]()
![]()
-
bettyflo16
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 16 Sep 2015, 14:17
- Gender: Female
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
I had to wait for a year to get a Saturday off but since then I've managed to get 2 long weekends as well, although at very short notice so no chance to plan anything. In my opinion, it gets easier to be treated reasonably when you've been there for a while and you keep on good terms with the DOM.
-
Speedmeister
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
- Gender: Male
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
I've been with Royal Mail just over 6 years and very rarely get a Saturday off - the last one was probably at least 2 years ago. I've never even been given the option of 1 in 4 Saturdays off either. I'm a FT reserve on rural duties, there does seem to be only a few people at my office getting a regular long weekend - mostly high up on the seniority list. Most weeks I don't even know what my day off will be until the Friday or Saturday before although last week they've put up the duty rota for the next 3 weeks.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
To be honest I prefer Monday off, usually early finish on Saturday then you can then enjoy the rest of the weekend.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
I finally got a saturday off last week
but had to change if for a friday off for my birthday 
-
Carryoncas
- Posts: 10
- Joined: 26 Nov 2016, 16:42
- Gender: Female
Trying to get a Saturday off as a P/Ter
Wish I knew my duty 2 weeks in advance, we get our rota on a Saturday for the following week!Gazza47 wrote:Just a quick one on this, let's say you work 25 hours a week as a spare, but you are only given your duties at best two weeks in advance. Now you may be planning a dirty weekend away in two months time, with no shift pattern how do you know whether you need to book it off or it would be a rest day. Doesn't seem fair and a possible waste of leave when you may have been rostered off.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:You can't guarantee 1 in 6 because the agreement they are applying says "the majority of staff getting 1 in 4 saturdays off", for the same reason long weekends can't be certain.
However, you should be treated the same as all other employees, so if you want to push it you'll need to see the rep and perhaps make it official (grievance). However, if your manager is approachable, I would say an informal chat would be the first thing to do, it may get sorted without aggro then.
As a side note, I haven't had a Saturday off, except leave, since I started in 2004![]()
![]()