ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Illness

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

Illness

Post by mjt120 »

Hi all, I'm feeling rather unwell and having struggled all last week do feel I need to take time off to recover from this virus I have
1. How long can I take before a doctors note is required, and if I take all next week off am I still able to take my rota week which is the week after next, basically I'd be off two weeks, one week sick, one week on Rota. Just need to know where I stand with sick notes etc as this is 2 weeks from work.

Thanks
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Illness

Post by Mobey »

I'm sure it's after 7 days you need a certificate. Not sure though.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Illness

Post by datasaint »

You can self-certificate for 7 days. Make sure you phone them to tell them at the end of the last day off i.e. seventh day (earlier if you wish) you will be back at the next scheduled shift, so they don't try and extend your absence across all two weeks (I'm still not 100% how they are able to do this given it's your week off, but apparently they can).
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Illness

Post by rehabron »

mjt120 wrote:Hi all, I'm feeling rather unwell and having struggled all last week do feel I need to take time off to recover from this virus I have
1. How long can I take before a doctors note is required, and if I take all next week off am I still able to take my rota week which is the week after next, basically I'd be off two weeks, one week sick, one week on Rota. Just need to know where I stand with sick notes etc as this is 2 weeks from work.

Thanks
You can self-certificate for 7 days before a GP " Fit Note" is required. Because the following week from the 7 days is your week off in rotation and you have not given the resourcing unit a medical certificate to cover over the 7 days and not having advised them of your intended return to work then they will treat that not having been advised of your return to work to fulfil your scheduled rotation week before publishing the duties for that week that you are still sick, So if you feel that you are well enough to return to work allowing for your rest week of in the rotation make contact with RM on the Friday of the week that you have self-certificated for and this will keep you in the clear.
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

Illness

Post by mjt120 »

Thanks for info.